1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dump insert mulch weight

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KLC LAWN, Sep 3, 2012.

1. KLC LAWN

KLC LAWN LawnSite Member

I just outfit a K3500 with 8600 gvw with a truckcraft dump insert (8foot). Although I have had last count 6 dump inserts in the past I am having a problem remembering how well it handled mulch... I am working out details on mulch deliver/spread specials for next spring and am trying to decide what is a safe amount to deliver with this truck. I know 3 is okay, I am hoping for 4.... and some say 5 even is okay? I understand when wet it can weigh 30% more, but assuming its your average moist level... Longest travel would be 4 miles from mulch pickup spot. Looking for input from those who have hauled mulch before with a 8600 gvw truck and insert...

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

What does the truck weigh empty with the insert
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. KLC LAWN

KLC LAWN LawnSite Member

Truck has 3033 payload insert weighs 750 so that leaves only 2300 lbs by gvw rating but I seem to remember 4 yds being no prob

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

If its mulch you will run out of room before you are over weight.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. KLC LAWN

KLC LAWN LawnSite Member

I want to build sides to the right height to allow either 4 or 5 yds, simple math I can figure it out... But I don't want to setup for more than it will handle on a continuous basis. I peddled about 250 yds this spring

6. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

I would say you would have no problems with 5 yards then.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

5 yards, if it's dry and light 6. Wet mulch 4 .

8. KLC LAWN

KLC LAWN LawnSite Member

Thanks, that's how I remembered it too just wanted to make sure. Just looking to carry 4 anyhow.