Dump insert or Dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smitty58, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Which is a better all around setup. I would like to have a dump ,but I also need a truck that I can drive everyday and pull a camper. So for those of you who have either a pickup with a insert or those who have a 1 ton dump ,which do you feel would be the best setup for me.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Hey smitty
    Dump insert unless your planning on being on the rd constantly. If you can't haul it in an insert have it delievered and pass the cost along.

Mac

3. Smitty58

Mac, do you have an insert? I only have a 1/2 ton currently, will an insert work in a 1/2 ton? I read somewhere about some leaf spring helpers. Do you think that would help enough to put an insert in my F-150. I don't need to haul a lot of weight ,but I do have a tendency to over do things a bit. Basically all I want to haul is mulch and maybe use it for some cleanups.

4. olderthandirt

from here

yes I have an insert in my 1 ton but you can put them in a 1/2 ton air shocks work and there cheap. If you put boards on the sides you can carry around 3 yds of mulch without hurting the truck but you will need shocks or bags add a leaf something to carry the weight. The inserts are around 1,000 pds unless you get aluminum. Nice hitch hauler by the way.

Mac

5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Neither....dump trailer. You can carry more than a dump insert and you don't have the added insurance/tags/maintenance expense of a dump truck.

6. olderthandirt

from here

But then you can't haul another trailor , I gotta get the tracs and equipment to site and I prefer only 1 trip and I have not seen a 22 ft dump trailor designed to be pulled by a pick up.

Mac

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have enough truck I believe they make a fifth wheel version in that length.

8. Smitty58

Thanks Mac, I'm adding a couple of things to the hitch hauler but I couldn't wait to post it. It sounds like an insert would be the ticket. I used to have a dump trailer. It was nice but as you say then you can't pull your equipment trailer. I don't suppose the ins. would change much with an insert.

9. badranman

badranman LawnSite Member

I'm having the same dilema, dump bed (insert) or dump trailer. I'm not really a "lawn guy" per se but own a Bobcat and would like something to haul some gravel, dirt, mulch etc. What's best for a 1/2 ton?

10. Smitty58

badranman - That bobcat has got to be pretty heavy. I'm not sure if a 1/2 ton would be real good for an insert and pulling a heavy trailer. Other than that I think the ideal setup for a bobcat would be the insert (unless you can afford a small dump truck). There is some heavy duty low profile dump trailers that are perfect for hauling a bobcat ,but once you fill the thing with dirt or whatever you would have to leave the bobcat to go dump. I don't think I would like that. Foster makes a real nice dump trailer for that if you are interested.