Dump Insert or Flatbed Dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KS_Grasscutter, Feb 17, 2008.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, so I am at the point now that I need (no, dont need, just really want) a way to get crap out of my truck, that doesn't involve me actually getting out of my truck... So which would ya'll get, an insert or a flatbed dump? It will go on a long bed 3/4 ton truck. I am kinda leaning towards a flatbed dump, because of the increased capacity, and also the ability to haul pallets of stuff easier. Only advantage I can see of having an insert is that it is cheaper, and it would be much easier to move from truck to truck.

Money IS kinda an issue, but I don't want to end up getting something I won't be happy with, just because it's cheaper.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Any opinions?

Also, aluminum vs. steel. While alum. would give me at least 400 lbs. of extra payload capacity, I feel that a steel bed may be better, to have extra weight to give more traction when plowing snow.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in the same boat as you. But going with a 1 ton. I have the added issue of finding the truck first also.

I think it would be easier for me to find a cleaner used regular bed 1 ton then it would a dump. I mean dumps are for working only, they get beat up and normally are only sold with high miles. Thats one point towards an insert.

The other thing is, regular bed with insert is cheaper then a dump like you said. The other thing is, it's easier to work with when it comes to plowing. Not as wide, nothing obstructing view. Or in my case probably just take it out.

When it comes to a dump, you have more capacity, but in my case i'd go dually 1 ton, so it would be wider and harder for the drives that I plow. But the extra weight is nice for the lots I plow.

For me, I think I might just go insert for now, and when the time comes switch to a larger flatbed.

As far as metal. For a 3/4, you might want to opt for the aluminum to get as much payload as you can. Your limiting yourself on it going with 3/4 in the first place. Might be worth the extra money.

4. have a look here. I've had one for 2 years and love the versitality of the unit. no more back strains or aches. www.powerdecks.com

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

there you go.... on a 3/4 ton truck a dump insert will be the way to go with gvw a flat bed dump you wont get much capacity out of it

6. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a F-350 srw and after my wreck I had a Knapheide flatbed put on it. It was $2325 installed with a headache rack. I can add the dump cylinder for another $1700. I really like the way it turned out, much easier to work out of then a pickup bed. Like you said loading from any side now is a pc of cake.

7. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

I have a Downeaster dump insert in my truck. I have had it for almost a year now and love it. I use it to deliver mulch and use it for spreading salt in the winter. I paid just under 3K with a two way cylinder.

Regards Mike

8. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Even though I'm sure there's lots of people who will disagree, I always thought single wheel flatbeds (like on a 3/4 ton) look cobbled together and unprofessional. Maybe try one of these http://www.z-dump.com/ ? They're low profile so they keep your pickup looking like a pickup.

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a picture of mine with the new flatbed. I think it looks pretty good.
    I put the boxes on to hold the salt in ,not sure if I'm going to keep them on though.

newbrutus1.jpg

10. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

i banged my bumper and bed up the other day in the storm so I think im gonna put a flatbed dump on my pickup instead of replacing a whole new body that just gets dings and dents from working.