1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dump insert Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mowerman41, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mowerman41

mowerman41 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 9' dump insert in my 2003 F-250. The insert has surface rust on it, I figure that I am going to sand/grind the rust off the best that I can. Do you suppose that I use something like Rustoleum Paint or go with something else. Thanks.......

2. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same problem. Last winter, I just lightly sanded it and spray painted it, but it happened again. I would also be interested to hear if there are any other options that might last longer.

3. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting ready to sandblast and paint the dump box on my 1 ton. If you can get a sandblaster, take it to bare metal, then 2 coats of prime and paint. If you can get some Case IH, or I guess CNH paint now, use that, it holds up really well, the company I used to work for does that about every three years to his flatbed dumps and trailer, and they look great. One of the trucks carries a salter all winter and that once every three year paint job keeps the bed lookin awesome.

4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

quick hint, before you start to sand the bed down go get a load of 57 and drive around with it, it will take a lot of the loose stuff off, then power wash then wire wheel then paint. you will probably have to do this every year they just seem to take a beating.

5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

How about rino linning it after you sand it down and prime it?

6. terribentti

terribentti LawnSite Member

check out the web-site, their dump bed is poly and has no maintenance issues. www.dump-pro.com

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009