dump insert with leaf box

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rich's Lawn Care, May 3, 2003.

1. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

was anyone put a leaf box on a dump insert.

if anyone has pics that be great.

RICH

2. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I have no pictures I can post but it has most definetly been done. I plan on building one this fall for my new dump insert.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have done them. Same as a regular dump except instead of building to the floor I built it on top of the siderail. This eliminated fancy fabrication on the angled sides. The one I built for a friend is still being used three years now. Works really well with the power up/down found on inserts.

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question about the power down feature found on some dump inserts. I have an ez-dumper that just has a relief valve to let the dump down. Goes down every time, never gets stuck, isn't really slow. So my question is, why do some have power down? It just seems like a waste?

About the leaf box question--I don't have a leaf box, but I do have sides for mine. A box would be fairly easy to build...I would just use the stake pockets, put a pin through the stake to secure it, make a frame, and add some plywood.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have the Down Easter it is like the EZ Dumper but has power down. Also stainless steel model. Goes down in 10-15 seconds!!!!

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Well we built a box for a dump without power down. Owner wanted a really big box. Had so much weight up high that it would not go down with gravity. Had to add ropes to the side so a couple workers could pull it for a bit unitil it got to a point where it would come back down. That is the exact reason.

I would stress that leaf boxes should be framed in steel angle with pressure treated plywood sides. Otherwise you will just be redoing them everyyear. The steel framed ones we build get 5 years then just replace the plywood.

7. Rich's Lawn Care

Nozzleman, Did you build your leaf box yet for your dump insert?

I got my E-Z Dumper today so i'm still looking for a pic of one with a box.

8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Here you go.

insert 1.jpg

9. Rich's Lawn Care

Lawnzzz, what did you do for the tail gate?

10. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I build this door to swing out because I have a tailgate mounted vac the door looks a little short this allow the tailgate to shut.I cut the hole in the center.I will be setting this up in a couple of weeks,I didn't take any pictures once I finished it last season.Will show you somemore soon.