Dump Insert...Worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell36, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

trying to figure out if a dump insert for an 8 foot bed would be worth buying? main concerns are having enough room with sideboards for mulched up leaves in the fall, grass clippings aren't a concern...would a flat bed with a hoist be that much better/bigger?

2. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two of the Truck Craft aluminum dump inserts, plenty of room for lawn debris and hauling landscape materials. Each insert was about $7000.00 a piece, but worth every penny.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I got a Bri-Mar dump insert and its the best thing I've ever done. Well at least until I am ready for a dump truck. I built walls and was able to fit quite a bit of leaves in there. What kind of truck do you have? Because my insert weighs about 800 lbs. + whatever you have in it, plus a trailer. It was way too much for my Chevy 1500 w/ super springs to handle. It pulled it like a champ but didn't like it. My 2500 does a lot better.

4. jbell36

from KANSAS

i have a '97 f-250 heavy duty...the other question is aluminum or steel?

aluminum is about 400 lbs. and about $5000.00

steel is about 800 lbs. and about $3000.00

(i'm pretty sure these prices include the hoist)

i think i want to go with steel simply because it's cheaper and i don't think it's going to be that big of a difference, but then again i don't know...thanks for the advice though and for any more advice would be surely helpful...oh and we do pull a trailer...

5. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

If u go with the steel i would put either timbrens or airbags on the rear.

6. hanson's glc

hanson's glc LawnSite Member
    from mn

i have the same one. and love it. i payed $5566 side bord were 2x12 for $40 i would get the aluminum so you and 2 other guys can lift it out of the truck when storen it. plus you can put more weight in it and it will not rust looks batter too.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Worth every penny. I bought a Bri-mar insert for 2100. Its in a ford f-250. I can haul 4 yards of mulch easy with it.

8. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a few inserts, I love them, very nice for grass, saves a lot of time unloading. pays for itself in no time at all. I have had 2500lbs plus of grass in it no prblem.

9. jbell36

from KANSAS

Cutter1, aluminum or steel? much of a difference?

10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have one and never have, but have looked at them. My opinion is Spend the money on an older dump truck for the big jobs. This gives you a backup truck if your main truck fails plus at the end of the day you can toss the little bit of debris you picked up into the back and make one big dump run when it is full. It to me seems like a lot of extra weight to lug around and extra steps to take for such a small amount of debris that you can actually fit in there.

For the small jobs and daily stuff. I got a large ele cheapo 8x10 tarp from lowes and stapled 2 2x4's to the 8' ends. I lay the tarp longways across the bed and toss stuff in and fold the ends with the 2x4's over the debris making a nice little packed. (It is law here that all loads must be coverd and they actually enforce.) Then at the next job we can just unfold and dump more in. I have a couple of eye hooks screwed into the 2x4's so that when we start getting really full in the truck/tarp I use ratchet tie downs to crush everything down so we can fit some more in. To unload, just drop the gate grab the tarp by the 2x4's and give a a good tug and it will slide right out. We are in and out of the recyclening center before the guys with dump bodies every time. We have yet to encounter a load that we could not pull out with me and my helper that took more than one good pull.

As far as mulch goes why use a dump at all? The force to load a wheel barrel lifting the mulch up off the ground is far more than the required force to load it from the truck. And if you are hauling heavy stuff (gravel, sand, whatever) often enough to need an insert you would more than likely be better off to just get the seperate dump truck.

Just my .02 I just liked having a seperate dumpl