Dump Insert

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green Care, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Today I went to dump had way too many wet leaves in my insert , couldn't handle the load. It started to raise, but stop. Now it won't raise up at all....when I pull toggle all I hear is the solenoid. Any suggestions?

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Check the ground, I believe it grounds through the bed. Try using jumper cable from negative batt terminal to a good clean section of metal near the motor if possible.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

GROUND, GROUND, GROUND. Why do people always forget the ground? I have seen people run welding lead on POS side and then run a lamp shade wire on the NEG like it does not matter.And you have to love the people that try and ground there trailer light though the trailer hitch. On something like that dump bed insert and how many amps it pulls I would thank about running a #4 or better wire straight from the NEG post on the battery to the pump its self. In the shop when I have an electric problem you would be amazed at how often it is in the ground side.

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

never had a problem with it in 3 years until now I need to figure how to get to the pump because I can't raise it. I will try too.

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Now that could be a problem. Let me guess, you can not get to the bolts that hold it in the bed as well. You could try this idea. Get a chain hoist or come-a-long and hook it to a tree limb or overhead beam and try pulling the dump bed up. You may want to try raising it with the pump at the same time you are hoisting it up. Check your owners manual to see if they have an "emergency" plan in case something like this happens. If you do not have the owners manual you maybe able to go to they web site if they have one or just call the people that made it. I am sure that someone though of a way to rasie the dump if the pump unit failed.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Like the other guys said, sounds like a connection problem. Remove and clean all positive and negative connections and reassemble them with dielectric grease. Make sure the negative cable is as big as the positive- they carry the same amount of current. I had a similar problem with the leveling jacks on my motorhome and did the above and it's worked fine since.

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

worst comes to worst you can always drain the hydro fluid from the unit - that will allow you to manually raise the bed. Much like a snowplow, once you release pressure/drain the fluid, you'll be able to manually manipulate the piston/ram. Hope that helps you. Good luck.