1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dump Insert

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rotor-Man, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Anyone have a Dump-Pro insert on their pick-up, and if so can you tell me what you like or dislike about it and approx. cost.
  2. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

there aboput 2000 and there the best have one in a paving company truck and i like verything about them
  3. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

I bought a Dump-pro two years ago, mainly for dumping grass clippings and wood chips. The thing I like about it the most is that in 5 minutes I can have it out, and have the full pickup bed to use. I had a problem with it the first time I used it, called the company and had the new part the next day. Never had another problem. The whole thing weighs about 340 pounds, with a 3,000 pound capacity. More than I would load in a 3/4 ton pickup. I had it assembled with stainless steel hardware, lawn chemicals do not affect it at all. If I need to haul rock or concrete, we use a dumptruck. Our Dump-pro gets used 5 to 6 times a day. I think it was a good investment for a lawn service, it's not as expensive as the steel or aluminum ones either.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Whats the advantage? Using it in a 1/2 ton? For $2K I bought a steel dump insert that will hold 6K looks kinda flimsy and the winch seems weird, but I have never seen in person just saw the site.
  5. Luvs2Play

I thought the same thing at first. Are you putting 6,000 pounds in a 1/2 ton? You got a good price on a steel insert. The advantage of the winch is that if it fails, it only takes 15 minutes to change it and have it working again. It doesn't affect gas milage either. I don't have to worry about it rusting out. I guess I just like it, it's tougher than you would think it is.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Well I put mine in a 1ton and got the good price cuz I got it Factory direct (Downeaster)
    I guess it is for light duty trucks? It seems like great for clippings and small loads. Sounds great for you application I would like to see one in person and test it out. I use mine as a spreader as well for sanding so mine is dual purpose.
    good luck with it

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I briefly looked at Dump Pro but I decided it wasn't a good fit for us mainly because it doesn't look like it can take years of abuse like a steel, electric over hydraulic dump insert would.

Cons, dump pro

plastic bed
    no stake pockets
    no cab protector or tarp system
    funky rear support that blocks the rear license plate,
    clamps to the truck bed (not frame)
    non functional tailgate, you can't do a controlled even spread of gravel without a tailgate that can be partially opened
    electric winch
    3,000 lbs max capacity

Pros, dump pro

light weight
    less expensive
    it looks like it can easily be removed

Pros, steel/aluminum dump insert

sturdy metal
    stake pockets for leaf box
    mounts to truck frame
    tailgate even better, it's more functional than the stock tailgate
    electric/hydraulic lift system
    6,000-10,000 capacity
    optional cab protectors and tarp kits
    hydraulic pumps are much more reliable and stronger than an electric winch

Cons, steel/aluminum dump insert
    price, most are 2,200 and up
    heavy 600+ lbs
    can't remove as easy as the dump pro, but you don't really need to remove it unless you are trying to haul a 5th wheel or gooseneck.
  8. 4x4Jim

4x4Jim LawnSite Member

I've been thinking about getting an ez-dumper for my 350. I've used one on a friends truck, and like it a lot. It seems very reliable, and he has had no problems with it.
  9. Luvs2Play

We do haul horses too, makes it nice so that we can use the gooseneck in just a few minutes. It's not for everybody, it works good for us most of the time. We do have a 5 ton dump for the heavier stuff. We don't do snow, I can't rely on it to make a living, we only had two snows here this winter, neither one was more than 3 inches, so I don't salt either. Do move alot of manure, the poly is good for that, it doesn't stick. I have thought about a headache rack, that would take care of the cab. Around here about the best we can do on a steel insert is around $4300.
  10. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

$4300 for a steel insert :eek: I'm glad they are not so expensive around here. I recently priced one from every manufacturer that I could (Bagley, Little Tipster, EZ Dumper, Maxi-Dump, Forrest River, BriMar, Truck Craft) none of them were over $3000.