dump inserts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SDF250, Mar 2, 2001.

1. SDF250

SDF250 LawnSite Member

thinking of putting one in my 250 . anybody use them ? any comments? can you put a tailgate spreader on them

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Several colleauges have them and absolutely love them. They have added two 2x12 rails per side to increase in hauling capacity. Their biggest gripe was trying to keep the cost close to the $2k dollar mark. I am not aware of anyone hooking up a tailgate spreader to them. Im sure that your dealer could better inform you of that.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i have a truck craft insert w/ a easy dumper spreader (for bulk salt) works really good but my only problem is to keep myself from overloading the truck too much because the dumper works so well.....i will post a picture w/ 2 ton of limestone.....dumper works fine.....paid around 2200 for dumper and 2300 for spreader

doug

4. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

For Doug - I just saw an advertisement on the truck craft inserts, and I am especially interested in the aluminum version. Is yours steel or aluminum? It is great to happen across someone with a truck craft insert without having to pose the question in a seperate thread. Let me know.

Matt

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

mine is steel.....the alumnium is an extra thousand to get like 600 to 700 more capacity...not that good of a deal ..plus with the alumnium you can ONLY go with the alum. bulk spreader ,it is like double the price of steel...also i can weld, modify,repair steel quickly and cheaply the alum. does look nice all shiny, but this is not a beauty contest either

doug

6. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I have an easy dump and have mounted a spreader. Its a hitch mount and I needed a tongue extension for the hitch, as the dump body sticks out further than the stock tailgate would have....works well though ALSO....I see your nameSDF250....be sure you do not go over the rated gvw for your truck, I speak from expierience here....the ticket i got for being 85lbs over was not worth the little bit of extra stone I got onboard..good luck with your decision..ed

7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know of any good web sites that i could get some info on these dump inserts? I am really interested in getting one.

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I know the Landscaper supply catalogue has them. Look like exellent alternative to a big heavy stakebody dump!

9. Lawnking

Lawnking LawnSite Member

I have a steel insert and it works great. Remember that steel does rust so there is some maintenance involved. Alum. also has a LOWER payload capicity being it is not "strong" as steel. Mine came from Hi-Way Equipment in Iowa. Website http://www.highwayequipment.com

10. I run 4 of the steel models in 99 and 2000 F 250 with the 9600 GVW. They hold anything we put in them, plus the trailer.

Cost recovery on these units is less than 18 months in labor savings alone,not to mention your back.

One of the better equipment investments you can make. Will outlast the pickup.

Dale Wiley
    Landscape Business Systems