Dump inserts??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Shuter, May 7, 2004.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Shuter -- it is a 2500 (8600 gvw, HD version). Here is a better view:

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks GLS, I have the same only extra cab.
  3. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

put air bags on and it will ride like a champ
  4. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

GLS - Got a question about the bed sagging.

My husband wants a dump bed for his 1991 3/4 Ton GMC. But his concern is that the weight of the load will cause the bed to sag when he's dumping. He hauls around grass clippings, mulch, top soil & some stone.

Have you had that problem? Our friend is an auto "Body Man" & could weld some steel into the frame for support, but there is also the weight consideration

I am weighing whether to get a dump body or just save up for a little longer & buy a dump truck.

BTW, he also plows & has a huge orange sander thingie (Having a blond moment - forgot what it's called) on his equipment wish list. Could this be dropped into the dump bed?

Thanks, I am trying to stealth shop for Father's Day - LL's wife.
  5. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Get a unit that will do both.

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you mean he is worried that while the dump is in the raised position it will put too much force on the rear end (axle, springs, bed, whatever else)? If so, I wouldn't be too concerned because the dump cycle will take less than a minute and I don't think it iwll hurt anything. I do recommend some type of suspension upgrade though...extra leaf springs, overload or helper springs (I use overload springs), air bags, or timbren load boosters. It will minimize sagging and bottoming out.

As for the v-box, I would recommend removing the dump insert before installing the v-box. It can be done, but the salt capacity is already limited, the extra weight of the dumper makes it worse. It also will make the vbox sit up higher which means higher center of gravity. But mostly weight issue.

As for dump truck or dump insert...It depends on your needs. I would suggest buying a dump insert now and buy a dump truck later if you need it. Insert will only cost about $2500.

Anyways, good luck with your decision.

Heron Cove -- Really nice rig. Those SS truckcraft units look nice. How did the spreader work out for you last year?

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

8. Chairmnofthboard

Chairmnofthboard LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

whats up people, My friend works at a trailer dealer, and he sells those Dump Inserts, i can find out what they cost.
    I know they dont sell many of those dump inserts, Most people option to buy a dump trailer instead. An 8x10x2 dump trailer runs $3125.

They have some trick lawn care trailers "Lawn Pro" i believe its called, The front is an enclosed trailer and the back is a dump, so you stick all your equipment in the front, lock it up, safe and dry, then the rear is a dump.

Seems to work well, thow your equipment inside, swing by the dump on the way home, and park the trailer without worry.

I think they also have that "lawn Pro" in an open version, the front is an open utility and the rear is a dump.
  9. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My EZ Dumper was $2100.00 installed w/headboard and tarp.

This is my leaf set up but with the sides built up 2 ft it will hold 5 yards of mulch.

my pictures0002.jpg
  10. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Thanks, we ran over 100 tons of salt through the thing and it ran FLAWLESSLY. Going to look at getting the unit for a contractor's dump bed next.

Even though you do not want a lot of play in the unit, some movement (waggle/vibrate) is good and going to happen. When you say this, do you mean it moves from side to side when the bed is in the raised position? If so, again this will happen to some degree. It is a structure and any structure that is built totally rigid WILL fail. But excessive play is not a good thing.