Dump kit

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CSRA Landscaping, Nov 2, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What are your thoughts on this thing shown at http://www.truckcraft.net/ ?

Anyone had any experience with it? Is it worth it?
  2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

I do not have an insert. However, that brand is very popular around Northern Ohio. I looked at them. They seem pretty durable. They are also light weight <500 pounds. A lot of cash. Deluxe model about $4500.00 installed.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

For about the same amount you can mount a flatbed with a dumphoist on the truck. That will give you more space (and durability) than the insert for the same $$.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have the aluminum version of the Truck Craft dump insert. The thing is great for mulch, grass clippings and cleanups .. Top soil too, even gravel I've had dumped into it.. I have had it for about 4 1/2 years no problems.. It's really light compared to the steel units, 450lbs compared to over 1000lbs.. You can get the tarping system for either that mounts in the cab guard.. With wooden insert sides I can get 4 yard s into it without a problem.. Unless it's gravel or top soil cause my truck cant handle that much weight.. But I give it a thumbs up.. The only issue I have with it is that it is exactly 48" wide at the bottom and a pallet of field stone is usually a little wider , with it hanging over and it get s difficult to get that kind of material back there..
  5. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw the alumminum truck craft and liked it but I think that it is a little too pricy.I can get an 8' air flow dump body for the same kind of money installed that will dump more and carry more.Good Idea just need to be closer to the $1,200 to $1,500 range
  6. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I looked into a dump insert for my pick-up, but kept my eyes open for a stake body truck. Finally I found an 86 Ford F350 Stake dump for $3200. Now I have 2 trucks for not much more than I would have spent on an insert. So, if you have some time, I would advise to find a dump truck.

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Down East sells the E-Z Dumper insert cash & carry at $1799.00 plus $299.00 for the above cab piece. We see EZ dumpers all over the place and if we didnt have 2 dump trucks thats the brand we would run.
  8. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

I have the dump kit on my silverado pickup. i dont like it because it weak. they make it seem like you can dump a lot of weight. you cant. i cant dump more then a yard of dirt. its only good for leaves and light mulch. plus everything gets hold up by the wheel wells. plus if you are loaded with to many wet leaves or just too much weight you still have to dig it out of bed plus you can put gas in the dump because you have to now lift the bed to do it. buy a dump truck or go with the ez dump kit. much stronger

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any idea what a yard of dirt or top soil weighs.... more than that truck is probably rated for !!!! Those kits and even dump inserts are rated higher than most of the applications you would put them in. But in a pickup truck even though it says can lift 5ooo lbs, your truck can only handle 1000lbs.......
  10. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

well my dump kit cant do a yard unless you pile it all at the end of the tailget. the truck can hold a 2 yards but the dump cant lift it