dump or dump trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BLC1, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Just depends on what you plan to use it for.

2. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Well my situation is this. I need to get another truck that is 4x4 to put a plow on. I was thinking a 1 ton dump would solve that problem and give me some other options for hauling.

I don't do a lot of hauling. Occasionally I need a few yards of soil. Maybe a little stone or firewood here and there.

I was having a hard time coming up with anything so I thought another f250 would be fine if I got a dump trailer. It would be nice to have a dump trailer I could get my skid steer with a rock hound on as well. I could sell one of my trailers to help pay for everything.

3. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I would go with the dump trailer then.

Couple reasons,

1. I hate plowing with a dump truck.

2. Higher payload. It should be able to have net load of about 10k.

3. The one ton(10k+GVWR) is a CMV all the time and the two fiddy would only be a CMV when towing the trailer.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

downside is it you need equipment and material on a job you will have to make two trips. i really dont see the point in small (under 40k-50k). i see people do it here with a leaf box on the trailer and they have another truck and trailer for the equipment.

5. BLC1

from Ohio

I was wondering how much more difficult it would be to plow with a dump. Obviously large lots would be fine but the lack of visibilty would drive me nuts.

Does anybody here have a dump trailer and wish they would have gone with the truck or vise versa?

6. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

Wow, settle down kids. In Maryland I have a class C license (standard) but you need commercial insurance and DOT #. I have a 14' dump trailer and it works great for many needs. Hauling mulch, top soil, rocks, skid steer, mini x, and I am currently getting ready for leaf removal season with a tailgate mounted debris loader, its great to be able to flip a switch to unload. I do admit that a dump truck would be more nimble in some situations but I manage just fine with the trailer. When I am towing the dump trailer with my 2002 Chevy 2500 HD (6.0L gas) I am averaging 8 mpg. Hope this helps, either way it will be great improvement to your buisness.

7. BLC1

from Ohio

How long of a trailer do you need for a skid steer with rock hound on it?

8. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

so do you use two trucks then? one for trailer and one for equipment.

9. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

Depending on the job, but I put most of my equipment in the bed of truck. If I am using large equipment and need materials such as top soil or stone, I will drop off the equipment and then go pick up the material needed. Most of my jobs are with in a 30 minute round trip to a supply yard.

Rock Hound and skid steer fits in a 14' dump. I almost purchased a smaller trailer but I am glad I didnt.

10. BLC1

from Ohio

Perfect. That may free me up to sell my large trailer then. If I could use the dump to haul the skid steer that would take care of both.

Where is a good place to look for used dump trailers. Craigslist hasn't had much to look at.