Dump or Enclosed Trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by POPO4995, Oct 14, 2006.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok guys, help me out. Next year i'm adding a new trailer. I cannot decide if I want a dump trailer or a enclosed trailer. I will keep my 7x18 open landscape in addition to the new one. Here are the pluses I have came up with for both, any other ideas or comments would be appreciated!

A Dump trailer would be nice for gravel, sand, dirt, mulch, etc. It would be nice to park at the subdivisions I do, fill it up with grass, and pull it out to the shop and dump at the end of the day instead of pitchforking it all off the 7x18, then driving back to get the mowers. I also haul alot of brush, which would save time there.

A Enclosed trailer would be nice if we are out mowing and it starts pouring rain as we could drive inside and wait the shower out if need be. Also would not have to unload the trailer at the end of each day; lock the doors and leave. I could leave it sit at a jobsite locked up instead of throwing everything into the back of the truck.

2. fortdan

fortdan LawnSite Member

If you have the money, sell the open trailer and buy both the enclosed and the dump trailer. If not, I would buy the enclosed trailer because it keeps you equipment safe and you can put your logo and number on it for advertising. Although if you don't have a dump truck the dump trailer would be nice, or just buy a dump truck.

3. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 20ft enclosed trailer, a 20ft gooseneck flatbed, and a 16ft open utility trailer. The enclosed trailer is nice for all the reasons mentioned. I can haul 2 tigers and a lazer Z, along with all the handheld stuff, spare parts, tools, gas etc, inside out of the weather and out of sight. Easy to lock up, ready to go any time. Great advertising. No more forgetting to load something. No more rain soaked equipment. Only negatives I can think of are finding room to park it. Weight; Makes my pickup work a lot harder and uses more gas pulling it around. Tires; Too much weight for 205x75 tires and 3500 lb axles. I should have gotten higher gvw rating, and bigger horse to pull it. Next spring I may trade it for a 22ft V-nose with 14,000 gvw.

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Here's an option.
    I have a dump insert for the truck and an enclosed trailer. Truck dump bed works great for clippings or leaves. With mulch you can back right up to work area for easy unloading. The enclosed trailer is great for storage of everything needed for a days work, plus it keeps equipment and fertilizer out of the rain.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

if you have a shop or a place to put the stuff put it there at the end of the day and how often does it rain when youre out cutting get in the truck if need be a little rain wont hurt them. the dump will haul dirt mulch whatever and you dont have to shovel it out just push a button also it will haul weight like skid loader i like the dump trailer idea oh and build a box and use it for leaves

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

If you get a dump trailer, what do you have to pull it with? That should be a factor. Nothing less than a 3/4 ton, just me, I know by experience. I would go for the dump.

7. POPO4995

Pulling wont be a problem....2004 Ford F-250 Powerstroke

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

You are all set with that! Why do you still want to keep the open? Is there anyway to trade in the open and get a used enclosed and a dump trailer? That is the way I would go if you really want both. I see that your open is a 2006, so you should get a good deal on a trade in if it has been taken care of. Enclosed trailer are great if you don't have a lot of room in your shop, but other than that they are nice, but not needed. Then again, how many times are you really going to be using a dump trailer. It would be nice to have, but they are expensive. Just things that you should think about before making a decision.

9. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

honestly..........you need both, i've got a dump and an enclosed........both are great in their own way

i got the dump for the obvious and the enclosed as storage and other future use

10. POPO4995

The enclosed is nice for brush and things of that nature. The trailer is in awesome shape, but I would get killed on a trade-in. Open also helps for when I pick up product on pallets.....lot easier to load and unload. I still cant make up my mind....:hammerhead: