dump this guy over late fee?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 22, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

he didn't pay his bill on time. :nono: i go over to mow the 2 neighbors. i get done, load the mower, he comes out. wants to know why i didn't cut his. i told him his payment is 2 weeks late. he is mad, and says that's not a good reason to skip him, he will catch up with me. besides, he already paid $220, and i only cut the lawn once, and fertilized once. i said, well, u know how the payment policy is, you don't pay "per service" you pay a flat monthly rate, starting march 1st. your april payment is late. he gets p!ssed, goes inside, and comes out with $220 cash and hands it to me. i said, "what's this?" he said, "your payment." i said, "i need an extra $10 for the late fee." he goes bananas. says he won't pay the late fee. i hand him back his $220, and tell him to cut it himself. would u have accepted the $220?

2. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

yes because it was in cash and you had the security from a check bouncing

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

you would have waived the $10 late fee?

4. Absolute Weed C

Absolute Weed C LawnSite Member

I would love to evaluate your business practices.. Cash is good screw the late fee..... Bobby, you know sooner or later word will get around. You might want to start rehearsing the lines " Would you like fries with that?"

5. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I would of taken the money and not charged him the late fee. You can always add it later if he want other work done. I have done this alot of times with customers I tell them dont worry about it , if my late is 20 over the season they will be paying me 100 cause I add a few extra to what ever the want done. So I dont get made I get even.

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :drinkup:

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

so richie, you "trick" them into paying a "hidden" late fee? why not just enforse the fee from the start?

7. MorganParadise

MorganParadise LawnSite Member

I feel when you let them off once they will expect to be late every time and expect you to waive the late fee. I think he did right business is business.

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It depends how bad you want that customer.He did pay his bill.Late fees are there for a reason and I understand that but sometimes if its the first time it can be waived.After that charge him.Thats just my opinion.I'm sure you are going to tell me I'm wrong.

9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

It's simple, I would take it and smile.

Because around here, if we required prepayment, we would never have any work to do.

You always like to compare our business to other service businesses. Does the plumber, AC repairman, mechanic, etc. require prepayment? Of course not----unless you've beaten them out of money before.

The only time I require prepayment is with a draw on larger landscaping jobs.

10. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

No Bobby I dont trick them, my wife runs our office and she is very strick about dealing with late payers. What im tring to say is that if im on the job and they Bi$%# at me I have no time to deal with pita people so i just kill them with kindness and do what I said before. Since my wife has taken over our office we only have about 4 late payers out of 127 accounts. This season we let go 7 acct. due to the fact they are always late and just pitas

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :headphones: