Dump trailer for hauling mowers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Herrick, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

Curious if anyone uses thier dump trailer to haul their mowers around?

Right now I've got a 2500 dodge and an 18' trailer that works great for most stuff, but I'm getting tired of shoveling mulch and leaves in and out of the trailer, plus a dump would be awesome for the firewood I do... I really don't want 2 trailers, storage and cost prohibitive at the moment. I'm thinking about a 14-16' low profile dump trailer to pull double duty. I'm concerned with the deck height getting stuff in and out though.

I've thought about a dump insert or a one ton dump truck, but the insert wouldn't hold enough in my 6' bed (volume or weight), and I think the one ton dump would eat me alive in gas, maintainance, insurance, etc...

Any help appreciated.

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Consider an aluminum dump insert with side extensions. The fuel bills associated with dragging a dump trailer around with lawn equipment will significantly more. They're heavy suckers.

3. Herrick

Not sure it will hold enough... I've only got a 6' bed remember... Even with aluminum I'm only looking at about 1600# capacity on the truck, that's only about 3 yards of mulch. Plus for the price of the aluminum insert I'm probably pretty close to the price of a used dump trailer!

4. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

People around here do it, its a great way to move into a second crew at least the people i know have done it that way. it always seems as if they have a mowing trailer and the dump just to service one mowing crew such as i have and then when you need to do the second mowing crew just put a landscape gate on it and use that until you need another one and such. but its been done. call your local trailer dealer and he can show you the different gates and such you can get. with a low pro dump trailer its not much higher than an enclosed on a little hill.

5. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

a guy in town does that with his wright stander. it seems like it would be a pain to try and get it on and off.

6. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a dump trailer that has an 8' dump bed and the front half of the trailer is a utility bed with a side ramp. We use it for all kinds of things but bought it for our leaf clean-ups. It also has a leaf loader mounted on the tongue. Presently I can use it to put anything I want in the back mowers, Perma-Green or any green waste. The ramp also mounts in the rear. There are pictures of this trailer listed under my post "my new toy" I believe.

7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen guys around using them with their walkers. Drive up into the trailer, dump the grass, then by the end of the day they can hardly fit the mower in the trailer cause theres so much grass clippings. But then they just dump it out. Seems like a pretty good idea. All depends on your setup though.

I have a storage problem for the gear when its not in use, so I'm starting to look into an enclosed trailer.

8. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

We've got one, a 12' Cross Country. It works great for all kinds of materials, but i hate to carry small equipment in it because it bounces so hard when it's empty, or only carrying the mower. Beats the John Deere pretty hard.

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been running solo with a 12' Bri-mar dump (low pro) with a landscape gate for 3 years......the deck height is 26" I think, with a 5 foot gate..... no problems....and I get 16mpg with my Ram 2500 CTD...... I do not want to maintain more than 1 trailer....

10. Herrick

This is exactly the type of testimonial I was looking for... what issues have you run into by only running the dump trailer vs. an enclosed or standard open for daily situations?