Dump trailer for landscapeing?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Shady Brook, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I was wondering about using a dump trailer for landscapeing, but had some questions. Can you get a wheel barrow under the tailgate of a dump trailer when tipped? I realize that a low profile has no shot, but what about the deckover design? I have been looking at some deckovers with fold down sides that look pretty functional.

Any thoughts on using one for landscapeing not involving dumping the material on the ground? This is not an option in many locations where I work.

Thanks

2. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Might want to learn how to spell landscaping first. :)

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I have a deck over design and no, you can not get a wheel barrow under it. If I do not want to get it on the ground I will leave the tail gate up and dump till the materia slides back. Then I am shoveling at my waste instead of the ground.

FYI: ALWAYS have the trailer connected to the truck when dumping (even empty).

Why is it that dumping mostly not an option? Is there a particular material you have in mind?

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

tthomass

I appreciate the info, that was most helpful.

I do not always have the option to dump because I do quite a bit of work in a highend subdivision where you can not dump on the street, and you can not always dump in a drive do to a variety of problems, one of which is working off of brick pavors and such.

Total Landscape Solutions

Wow, thanks for the informative post, you are wealth of information. Must be very exciting reading posts so that you can critique spelling. Perhaps you missed your calling and should have been an English professor!

5. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Believe me my english and spelling is horrible, thats why a nice thick Webster has it's place on my desk, not a bookshelf. Just wanted to save you some embarassment down the road. Better to learn it here than in front of a customer.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

Depending on what I'm doing........if I really need to dump I will go get some cheap $8 sheets of plywood and a large blue tarp.

1st lay down the tarp
    2nd lay down the plywood

That way you have a hard, smooth surface to shovel from because the tarp will just drag and snag and make a mess. Then when you are mostly done you remove the plywood and use the tarp like a sack to get up the remaining material. When finished........limited, if any, mess.

At times I have had to dump in the street, which case you def should have some orange cones. Then if its up and gone in a day or two you shouldn't hear anyones opinion.

7. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

One of the reasons we use the dump trailers is because it is easier to load a wheelbarrow from the trailer than to scoop from the ground. We will usually drop off the trailer with a load on it and the guys will lay a tarp on the ground to catch any spillage, and then load the wheelbarrows from the trailer. When the material gets too far away from the back of the trailer they just close the gate and dump it to make it slide to the back, and they're off again. We almost never dump on a street or even a driveway because the cleanup takes so much time.
    If your local rental yard has a dump available you should rent one and try it out. I would not do it unless you are prepared to buy one though because you will never want to work without one after you have used one.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

2nd what Mr. Vern said..........also, check out the market. I bought mine for $3,000. It was 2 yrs old and in excellent condition. Guy used it mostly for mulch and debris as we all do and was getting out of the business for another job.

Found mine on www.craigslist.com but unless you have a metro area close by that site won't do much good.

9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks guys for the practical info on the dump trailers. I found a company that sells new ones on e-bay that has deck over's with fold down sides. This might make it dumping a non issue as well. I would like the fold down sides for when I get pallets of brick and block, but also want it to haul a small tractor and often other tools which make me lean toward a low profile trailer.

Is there any other input that I should consider when deciding between a deckover, or lop pro design using the trailer from hauling tractors to fertilizer spreaders "magnum" to landscape work of all sorts?

Thanks again guys!

10. tthomass

from N. VA

if you're thinking tractor go low pro........depends on the size of the tractor though i'd say.........goose neck or hitch?

what size are you thinking of getting? basically from what i've seen the length = the GVW

my 6x10 is a 10,000 GVW

contractor i know has a 14' and is a 14,000 GVW.........i don't know if this is true for all but interesting none the less