1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dump Trailer - Leaf Removal - Getting Leaves out of trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

I have a boxed in dump trailer for leaf removal and the leaves aren't sliding out of the dump trailer at all when it's completely tilted. Is there anything I can put on the bottom of the trailer to help the leaves slide out? Anyone else having problems? Let me know...thanks!
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Put a pallet in the front of the trailer, tie a rope or chain to it and run it to the rear. Attach the rope/chain to something when ready to dump and pull forward.
    Works with shingles, should work with leaves.
  3. shenders

shenders LawnSite Member

Spray on graphite (just like spray paint) works pretty good. You have to reapply every once in a while but it works well with my dump system. I buy mine at John Deere but I am sure you can get it just about anywhere.
  4. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Thats interesting. Never heard that before. Wish I could help. Tharrell's idea sounds good though with the pallet.
  5. ztrguy

from NE FL

I did that last year since I didn't have a dump trailer. Had to use another pickup to hook onto the chain. That's why I bought the dump trailer....so I didn't have to hassle with another truck, pallets, etc. Looks like I'll try the Graphite spray and hope it works. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

curious, whats the dump angle? did you buy a low-profile trailer? how about the old back up and hit the brakes trick?
  7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I have a dump insert with a 4' high ply wood leaf box on my pickup. I raise the dump unit all the way and then slowly pull forward. The load slides out clean. The only time I have a problem is when the leaves are damp/wet or they set in there over night.

8. ztrguy

from NE FL

The leaves were a little damp and sat in the dump trailer overnight. I figure the majority of the leaves we clean up are going to be damp/wet unless we have a dry spell. It's been a really wet October/November here.

The angle is really steep when dumping. I don't want to try moving the dump trailer while it's tilted. The ground isn't perfectly level so I don't want to risk tipping it over on it's side.

There's gotta be an easy way to make the bottom slick. I'm going to try the Graphite spray and see how that works.
  9. Landmark

Landmark LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have a dump trailer converted to a leaf box, and just as with other applications you have to move the truck and trailer forward in order to empty it. It's not all just going to dump out standing still.
  10. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Would fluid film work? Or how about car wax? Anything to make it slicker.