1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dump trailer or dump truck ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by greenspaceny, Jul 10, 2007.

1. greenspaceny

greenspaceny LawnSite Member

My business is in the middle of our second season. Next spring I plan on purchasing a truck or trailer. We are a firm in upstate new york. 20% maintenance 80% design and build. Right now we are running one crew of myself, one full time team member and one part time member. Running my pick up truck and my foreman's truck. We rely on my suppliers currently for all of our material deliveries. I'm planning on starting a second crew next year. I would appreciate any advice .
    Thank You,
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

What;'s your budget?
  3. greenspaceny

I have a budget of 10,000.00
  4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

if you went the trailer route......

do you have a truck that can pull it?
    how will you load and unload it?
    are you looking at a dump trailer?

Dump insert for the pick up?
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on the quantity of material you get. If you can fit it all in a dump bed, I'd go that route. If you are needing something larger, go w/ a trailer. Really you will end up spending close to the same either route.
  6. greenspaceny

I have a 2003 chevy 4x4 2500hd
    looking at bri-mar 6x10 or 12 trailers/ no trucks just yet
    hauling mulch,crusher,plant material,etc
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

How many yards at a time do you want to haul ?

A dump trailer will eventually just kill your pickup because your hauling more weight than you would be with a 1.5 or 2 ton dump truck.

Another problem with a dump trailer how are you supposed to get into tight spaces.

For 10 grand you won't get much of a dump truck it will be a well worn out one.
  8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i say buy both. in the paper today is a 1995 gmc 3500hd 454 gas 52,000 miles for sale for $6,000 i think a truck like that is a good investment not too many miles not to big not to small. going with a gas engine will save you some money also and a 454 will still have enoght power to pull. so with 4k left you could still by a dump trailer or bobcat trailer or somthing else to help your bus. grow and make work easier.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You want to stay away from the GMC 3500HD they are not the best truck they have quite afew problems. The 454 would kill you in fuel at 5-6 mpg it will cost you a easy 15 dollars per hour to run that truck.
  10. greenspaceny

4-5 yards at a time, maybe more if just hauling mulch. With my approx budget i was looking for a truck that could get me through 3-4 years. Not that i want to be throwing money out the window! But even with maintenance it could still help me grow and be more productive.
    I appreciate all the comments guys!