Dump Trailer or Dumptruck

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by spf184, Feb 24, 2005.

1. spf184

spf184 LawnSite Member

This is my second year in business for myself. Last year was a great year for my company. All of my equipment is mostly payed off and I don't know what to do next. I am going to buy another mower for sure. Next I need either a dumptruck or at least a dump trailer. There is a lot of landscape work that is in the schedule for 2005. So I need to find something soon. I have been searching for a fairly new or used dump truck. Since the season is going to start so soon, I think I might have to settle with a dump trailer. A truck payment is in my budget, but I don't want to have a brand new truck that is not being used all of the time. If you can give me some tips on what you think I should do that would be great.

SPF Landscape & Maintenance
    2000 F350
    2000 20' enclosed trailer
    2004 wright stander 52"
    36" bobcat w/b
    Stihl power tools
    1998 chevy s10

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me a dump truck is the way to go especially if it is within your budget. The nice thing about the truck over the trailer is that you can put wheelbarrows under the tailgate and work the material out of the truck if needed. You can't do that w/ a trailer. Plus a truck is alittle more versatile i.e getting into tighter spaces w/o having to jockey a trailer around. Basically, if you can afford it go with the truck. It will serve you better.

Chris

3. spf184

spf184 LawnSite Member

I really want to get diesal for a couple different reasons. First of all they last longer, and they also save a little bit of money on fuel. The torque is also better then most gas engines. Gas engines are about six grand cheaper then a diesal engine. I don't know what to get. Does any out here have any suggestions.

Josh
    SPF Landscape

4. cgland

We have both. They each have their advantages. It depends on your business. If you do alot of stop and go, a diesel might not be for you. If you drive long distances and carry heavy loads then go w/ diesel.

Chris

5. spf184

spf184 LawnSite Member

Well, we do a little bit of both. Do you find that your gas dumptruck struggles with a load in the back and pulling a heavy load. At my job in the winter we have both also. The gas dumptruck seems to lack on the power compared to our diesal. It is a toss up for me right now. What kind do you have. I prefer fords and chevys. Thanks chris for your suggestions.

Josh
    SPF Landscape

6. cgland

we have all Chevys & GMC. We have a 01 Chevy 3500 dump w/ the 6.1 vortek, an 01 Chevy 3500hd w/ the 454 big block, and an 04 GMC Topkick 4500 w/ the 350hp Duramax. All are strong we have no problems w/ power when loaded (or overloaded) :nono:
    lol

now that diesel is so high it really works out the same on fuel.

7. yardscaper

yardscaper LawnSite Member

When I started my business, I had a Bri Mar gooseneck dump trailer and Ford F350 Powerstroke, which are still in my fleet today. I like the trucks a lot better than the trailer, but the insurance on a dump truck can be very high! Be sure to do your home work in the insurance department first. I have an F550 dump with fold down sides and it costs about 2K per year to insure. I also have an Isuzu NPR stake dump, and that does not cost anywhere near what the F550's insurance is because it has 'removable sides'. :dizzy: The other consideration that you have to make is whether or not you have a truck large enough to pull a dump trailer, they can and will fill up fast! Also, dead or weak battery on the trailer = NO DUMP! That is a big pain in the you know what! If you have close quarters, definitely a truck. As for diesel or a gas, I will never own a gas truck for professional use. :waving: Good luck with your choice!

If I had it to do over, I would have still bought the dump trailer first, just to get my feet wet and see how often I would use it.

8. spf184

spf184 LawnSite Member

Yes, I do have a truck that can pull it. I have a 2000 F350 power stroke diesel as well. We use dump trailers at my job in the winter all of the time. Some days they are a mans best friend, and other days they are junk. Overall, they are pretty handy. We use them for construction site clean ups. I am still looking for a diesel dumptruck. That is my first choice, but if that doesn't work out I think I am going to get a dump trailer. Once again guys, thanks for your input.

Josh
    SPF Landscape

9. lukachuki

lukachuki LawnSite Member

I have been considering this same question as well and would also like some input. I have been leaning both directions, but at least for me I think a dump trailer makes more sense.

The biggest advantages for a dump trailer for me would be: Less initial investment, less yearly investment. A dump trailer would also be easier to load by hand and also facilitate carrying equipment in the back.

Anyway these are just a few thought, got to run

Tim

10. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I love my dump trailer, we got it at the end of our first year and worked perfect. Remember if you continue to grow you can carry a skid steer in it, also we put four foot sides on it and can haul loads of brush with it. We are looking for a dump now but our dump trailer was definately worth the investment.