1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dump Trailer Question?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by korelandscaping, Jun 23, 2005.

1. korelandscaping

korelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from ct

Does anyone have a dump trailer they use for towing a skid steer? I've seen them avertised and have done some research but I'm still hesitant. I currently have a 5 ton equipment trailer but I'm thinking a dump trailer would be a good asset. Any dot restrictions with a 7 ton trailer? Any info would help..Thanks
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Ive seen a few landscapers around here with their bobcat skidsteer in the dump trailer
  3. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

A 7 ton trailer = 14000lbs = Class A CDL.

If it's over 10000lbs, you need a Class A CDL.

Joe Kantz
  4. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

CDL A starts at 26001 pounds ,so no you don't need a cdl. I have looked at doing the same thing. There are a bunch of dump trailer manufactorers ,but to me Foster makes the best low profile heavy duty trailer for hauling a skid steer. Other than having a dumptruck and a equip trailer I think this would be a great setup.
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Smitty's right, CDL A is required for a truck & trailer combination with a GVWR in excess of 26,000 lbs. (trailer GVWR must be in excess of 10,000 lbs.) A single vehicle (no trailer) in excess of 26,000 lbs. requires a CDL B.

I have a Loadtrail 6.5' x 14' goose neck that I use to haul a Bobcat T300. This trailer works great. It has two 7000 lb. axles and weighs about 4750 lbs. empty. It has two ramps that store under the bed and pull out to load equipment. The T300 weighs around 9500 lbs. with a 4 in 1 bucket. The most that I have had in it was 5.5 tons of sand. I had charged the battery all night before the haul. Good thing that I did, it barely raised the bed. I usually haul around 3.5 to 4.5 tons at most. With the 36" sides I can haul 9 to 10 yards of mulch. I have been thinking of wiring two 12 volt batteries in series to double the amp capacity. If I use it all day and dump a lot, the single battery gets a little weak.

All in all this trailer is one of the best purchases that I have made so far. I would recommend it to anyone in need of a trailer that can do it all.
  6. korelandscaping

korelandscaping LawnSite Member
    from ct

Thanks to all... I'm going to start price shopping to see where to get the best deal. I'm assuming that a dual piston set-up is best. I'll probably have my buddy fab up some expanded metal sides for mulch and hauling shrubs. I'm looking to spend about 5k, I think that will be enough?
    Why I'm at it...if anyone is doing any big jobs where their clients need financing....let me know. I'm a loan officer for a company in Ct, we service mostly every state in the US. We offer about 250 different programs that will suite most peoples needs.( Purchases, Re-fi's, cash-out, debt consolidation, home equity lines, etc ) I'll be more then happy to hand out a "finders" fee. :) Thanks again for the input!
  7. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

My Loadtrail trailer has a scissor lift system with a single 5" cylinder. It will dump out to 45 - 50 deg. I had a slick liner installed to help the material slide out especially when it's wet. The liner is 1/2" thick and cost $450. I think it is well worth it. Sure beats a shovel!