1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dump Trailer question??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by newtostone, Apr 21, 2008.

1. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Alright i use my dump trailer 12k 10' for mostly leaf suck up and mulch. will I be over loading it with 4 yards of soil? I am fearful that the ram wont lift? If it helps any its a Bri-Mar. Thanks in advance
  2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

it'll be close, you might have to shovel a little out before it goes up. Just be sure your brakes will handle the weight, that would be my main concern.
  3. newtostone

from NY

The brakes are in top condition, I have no worries on that. I am worried about the shoveling out part:nono:
  4. newtostone

from NY

Anyone else?
  5. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Like the previous comment - you will be close. I would recommend that you put more of the weight towards the back of the trailer (not so much that you lose the necessary tongue weight of cours). That will help a bunch!
  6. buzzyng

buzzyng LawnSite Member
    from OR

I have a 14k 6x12' and regularly carry/dump 5 yd topsoil. After three back to back loads, it starts to slow down but haven't had a problem.
  7. carb454

carb454 LawnSite Member

If you have other equipment on the job to spread the dirt once its dumped, Maybe you could take a scoop or two off the top with that equipment before the dump to relieve the strain?

One other question on dump trailers, Does the battery get any charge through the tow vehicles charging system (through lighting/brakes hook-up) or is it independant requiring a charge daily/weekly depending on usage...Thanks
  8. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

If your truck and trailer are properly wired the battery should be charging on the dump trailer as you drive. Also, keep the truck running while dumping so that the alternator is providing some juice.
    One last word of caution, don't let the battery get low or you will likely start blowing the main fuses on hte charging circuit if you dump a large and strenuous load. This seems to be a real problem on the Fords for us.
  9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We have a Bray and when haulin' rock or soil I try to keep the bulk towards the rear. Dumps way easier.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

we have a bri-mar 12k, 14' dump with dual pistons. Four yards of mulch is no problem...but its freakin heavy. No problem dumping but will wear our quickly. FYI, our topsoil supplier covers the soil so its never saturated.