Dump trailer question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by HPSInc, Dec 24, 2011.

1. HPSInc

HPSInc LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking to buy a dump trailer and I'm wondering if my truck will be able to handle pulling it. I'm looking at a 7 x 12 dump trailer and my current work horse is a 2009 silverado 4x4 with a 6.0 vortec motor and 6 spd automatic allison transmission. The heaviest of weight it will be pulling will be when the trailer is full of mulch. about how many yards you think it can handle (trailer/truck). im hoping this trailer can hold 8 or more yards of mulch and the truck can handle towing it. I hope not buying a diesel isnt going to bite me in the arse. heres the trailer in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. A&R Enterprise

A&R Enterprise LawnSite Member

I hope your truck is a 3/4 ton pickup.I have a 7x14 with 2 ft sides and it will hold 10 yards of mulch.But I haul it with a f-350 dually.I had a buddy take mine one time and he had a 1/2 ton pick up and it was too much.You will be ok if you have a 3/4 ton pickup.the motor you have and tranny will be fine.Nice trailer by the way.
    Have a Merry Christmas..............Al

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I pull a 7 x 12 Brimar low profile dump with my 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0 just fine. I have two 2 x 10s for sideboards and it holds and hauls 8 yards of mulch just fine. So I think you'll be good...go for it.

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My half ton with a 4.8 will handle pulling 8000lbs. With your motor/tranny you will be fine. 8 yards of mulch plus trailer might be a little heavy for the half ton suspension. May want to start with 6 yards and see how much spring you have left. I added one leaf to my half ton to help out.

5. Darryl G

Ohhhhh...he's got a half ton? I was thinking with the 6.0/Allison it must be the 3/4 ton. Still should do the job though.

6. HPSInc

The truck is a 2500HD. This is my truck.

[​IMG]

7. Darryl G

OK, not a problem for sure then.

I've had 3 yards of topsoil in mine before...not something I'd recommend.

Here's my rig...that's brush, not mulch in there but the only pic I could find that I hadn't posted yet.

CovellBrushPile 002.jpg

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  8. JBlawn

JBlawn LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Ive had my 2500 loaded with almost 6 yards of topsoil, as long as you dont have any big hills to go up it will handle 8-10 yards of mulch pretty easy.

9. HPSInc

thats a nice trailer darryl. if you take a look at the pic of the trailer i posted again doesnt it look like the tires are real close together as opposed to on your trailer? i asked the guy selling it about that and he told me he put new tires on it and those are the same size tires the trailer came with. said there is 3-4 inches of gap between them. hard to see that in the pics. so i hope hes right when i go to pick it up this monday. he tells me its heavy duty. 8 lug wheels and 12 ply tires. how much taller you think that trailer is than your lowboy?

10. Darryl G

Yeah the tires do look pretty close together now that you mention it...they also look bigger than mine...those sidewalls look pretty tall. I love the low loading height on mine since I work solo a lot and it's only knee high...I can lift pretty heavy stuff that high. What I can't lift I can slide up the ramps usually. Mine is the single cylinder regular duty 10K gross. The heavy duty was a 12k (I think) and would have probably been a bit much for my truck. What's the gross on that one?