dump trailer question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cutbetterthanyou, Nov 8, 2012.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about buying a 14k or 16k dump trailer. It seems that most compananys make the 14k, but when i see a 16k they say that they have 2
    7k axles how is it a 16k trailer with only 14k worth of axles? Makes no sense, are they the same as a 14k but lie and sell them as 16k?http://www.texaspridetrailers.com/OSTD-DT-14K-BP-7X14X3-TANDEM-AXLE.htm

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Some trailer manufacturers are starting to figure out that you can add tongue weight to the gvw. 14000 axles + 2000 on the hitch = 1 ton extra payload. Only prob is cdl reguirements.

3. cutbetterthanyou

So can't u do the same wiith a 14k put 14k on the trailer and 2k on the truck? Or is it all in the way its registerd

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

good question. IDK. Must be the reg. I just know Cam has been doing this for years and the dealer says it so you can tow more.

5. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The right way is to have the GVWR > sum GAWR.

GVWR = sum GAWR makes no sense.

Nodody is lieing.

6. Duffster

from Midwest

Wouldn't you be over GVWR that way?

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

depends. Do they consider that extra ton as part of the trailer or truck?

8. Duffster

from Midwest

GVWR is GVWR.

9. cutbetterthanyou

I have no clue it is confusing to me. The weight in me door jam is 9200 so i can put 16800 behind it.Right or wrong? I don't understand

10. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

To me this is a grey area. I'm sure it's against manufacturer recommendations but it's not listed on the door jamb either. Here is the other thing that I understand. A fully loaded 14-16k trailer will put 1400-1600lbs of tongue weight on the hitch following the 10% guideline. Is your hitch even capable of that? Will you be over your trucks GAWR with the trailer hooked and the bed full? I finally upped to a dually just to have more wiggle room in the GVWR and GAWR and have a truck that's actually rated to tow 14,100lbs. I also upgraded the hitch from the 2" 800lb tongue 8000lb weight carrying one to a 2 1/2" 2000lb tongue 18,000lb weight carrying one. This thing is an animal compared to the stock hitch. I may be a safety nerd but a 14k bumper pull is no joke of a trailer, especially fully loaded. I admit my trailer is not always loaded to that but when it was I'm glad I had the truck for it.