Lawn Care Forum banner

dump trailer question

14K views 43 replies 5 participants last post by  4 seasons lawn&land 
#1 ·
I was thinking about buying a 14k or 16k dump trailer. It seems that most compananys make the 14k, but when i see a 16k they say that they have 2
7k axles how is it a 16k trailer with only 14k worth of axles? Makes no sense, are they the same as a 14k but lie and sell them as 16k?http://www.texaspridetrailers.com/OSTD-DT-14K-BP-7X14X3-TANDEM-AXLE.htm

#28 ·
Not agueing because im sure your probally right, but what other laws are you talking about? There has to be a legal way to do it with a 3/4 ton, if not how do guys pulling a 3 car hauler do it? I got a friend of mine that gets pulled over on average 2xs a week and checked by DOT that's pulling a 3 car wedge with a 2500 cummins on a normal liecence
That would be the trucks own limits. Rear end, tires, rims, etc.

Probably a fifth wheel. Most 3/4 tons are rated to tow around 14000 on a fifth wheel. But GCWR isnt listed on door jams so as long as your not over on your rear axle you get get away with towing more than the manufacturers spec.

#30 ·
I think he's right though. In the eyes of the DOT it seems the numbers they care about are GVWR, GAWR, GCWR. Not anywhere does it say they are concerned with what Ford, Chevy, or Dodge print. Towing a fully loaded 14k dump with a ranger would get you bad attention and not to mention be grossly over your RGAWR, probably a violation. So again by following the ratings above the DOT has it well covered in terms of what you can do. Even some of the 3/4 ton trucks could be over their RGAWR with a fully loaded 14-16k dump. So again technically with a 9200 truck you could tow 16,800. But would the tongue of a fully loaded trailer like that be over your RGAWR? Now take my dually. I have a 4995lb payload rating. I need to weigh the truck first but lets say I have a usable 4000lbs of payload. I'm rated to 14,100 by Ford but I bet I could tow a 20k gooseneck (with CDL) and still be under my RGAWR but over Fords recommendation.

Not if you want to talk legalities of an accident. That's a different ball game.
Posted via Mobile Device

#32 ·
Sucks to be wrong doesnt it?
Show me where I am wrong. :rolleyes:

I just sold my 14 k dump trailer. That thing was hell on my poor little 3/4 ton.
You must be a very poor operator, Richard.

In no way was it legal. If I got checked it would have been overweight on Rear axle, tires, rims, and hitch.
Perfectly legal. As with any trailer it'd have to be loaded properly.

#33 ·
In MD you need a class A cdl to to a commercial trailer that is registered over 10k. A camper no but your dump trailer would need a class A
You got anything to back up such a statement?

You seem to like to pull stuff from your arse and pass it off as fact. :rolleyes:

#38 ·
Like i said i talked to the DOT officer last week, that's who works at the scale house isn't it? I put this on here cuz I have had a few ppl tell me different things.I really didn't think what he told me was right. I guess maybe it was, maybe not. First off he never asked me what class of licence i even had. He also failed to metion anything about what the truck is capiable of. he left me feeling like someones comment about a ranger or hyndai pulling a big trailer, which I didn't feel was right. I'm pretty sure i get it now, little in the gray, but i think i understand now. Thanks guys.

#40 ·
Im thinking your question was about CDL laws so thats all he gave you. Every vehicle has its own individual capacities that are enforced in addition to cdl laws.
It was ,but i told him what truck i had and what i was thinking about buying. And even told him "I am asking you before i buy so that i know i'm legal" You would think he would have explained that a little more. I guess if he don't explain it they that gives him a reason to pull me and give a ticket next time he sees me,typical.....

#41 ·
Well took my own advice and got a differnet answer today than any that I had gotten in the past , which would make Duffster correct ! The trooper said as long as the gcwr is not over 26k the trailer can weight more than 10,000 lbs. I must say I have asked this question a hundred times and this is the first time that it was put this way. So hats off to Duffster

#43 ·
All I know is that for where I live NO CDL is required until you pass 26,000lbs with a single truck or towing a trailer of 10,001lbs+ where the combo weight exceeds 26,000. So I could use a 19,500 GVWR F550 dump and tow a 10k dump trailer, be well over 26k but need no CDL. But my F350 @ 12,600 GVWR needs a cdl to tow my 14k dump trailer which is why I had it reduced to 13,200 GVWR from the factory (stated on the VIN tag). No CDL needed now.

#44 ·
Well took my own advice and got a differnet answer today than any that I had gotten in the past , which would make Duffster correct ! The trooper said as long as the gcwr is not over 26k the trailer can weight more than 10,000 lbs. I must say I have asked this question a hundred times and this is the first time that it was put this way. So hats off to Duffster
That is true. That wasnt where the disagreement was though. It was whether you can tow those trailers with a vehicle that is inadequate to tow it. And you cant. Your still talking in terms of cdl laws only. And before that it was weather trailer manufacturers could add tongue weight into the GVWR. And they can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.