Lawn Care Forum banner

dump trailer question

14K views 43 replies 5 participants last post by  4 seasons lawn&land 
#1 ·
I was thinking about buying a 14k or 16k dump trailer. It seems that most compananys make the 14k, but when i see a 16k they say that they have 2
7k axles how is it a 16k trailer with only 14k worth of axles? Makes no sense, are they the same as a 14k but lie and sell them as 16k?http://www.texaspridetrailers.com/OSTD-DT-14K-BP-7X14X3-TANDEM-AXLE.htm

#10 ·
I have no clue it is confusing to me. The weight in me door jam is 9200 so i can put 16800 behind it.Right or wrong? I don't understand
To me this is a grey area. I'm sure it's against manufacturer recommendations but it's not listed on the door jamb either. Here is the other thing that I understand. A fully loaded 14-16k trailer will put 1400-1600lbs of tongue weight on the hitch following the 10% guideline. Is your hitch even capable of that? Will you be over your trucks GAWR with the trailer hooked and the bed full? I finally upped to a dually just to have more wiggle room in the GVWR and GAWR and have a truck that's actually rated to tow 14,100lbs. I also upgraded the hitch from the 2" 800lb tongue 8000lb weight carrying one to a 2 1/2" 2000lb tongue 18,000lb weight carrying one. This thing is an animal compared to the stock hitch. I may be a safety nerd but a 14k bumper pull is no joke of a trailer, especially fully loaded. I admit my trailer is not always loaded to that but when it was I'm glad I had the truck for it.

#11 ·
I have no clue it is confusing to me. The weight in me door jam is 9200 so i can put 16800 behind it.Right or wrong? I don't understand
Where did you get the 16,800 number?

If you put 14k on a 14k trailer plus 2k TW you are over GVWR period.

#12 ·
i think you try to confuse people. The trailer is the 16,800. And your truck should have a tow rating.

If you put 14 k on a 14 k trailer that has 2k TW added into the GVW then you are NOT over assuming the trailer weighs 2000 lbs or less. Most trailers that size weigh about 3000. My Cam has 7k axles and 2k TW added to the GVW so it has 16000 gvw. It weighs 2900 so I can put 13100 on it.

#13 ·
i think you try to confuse people. The trailer is the 16,800.
What trailer?

If you put 14 k on a 14 k trailer that has 2k TW added into the GVW then you are NOT over assuming the trailer weighs 2000 lbs or less. Most trailers that size weigh about 3000.
You're confusing GVW with GVWR.

When I say put 14k on the trailer i am considering EW to be included in that number.

My Cam has 7k axles and 2k TW added to the GVW so it has 16000 gvw. It weighs 2900 so I can put 13100 on it.
That doesn't maek any sense.

What is the stated GVWR of the trailer?

#15 ·
Where did you get the 16,800 number?

If you put 14k on a 14k trailer plus 2k TW you are over GVWR period.
9200 is what i can have on my truck including the tongue weight, correct?.I got 16,800 from subtracting the 9200 gvwr from the 26,000 cdl limit. My understanding was that i can tow the difference up to 26k without a cdl. And if my trucks gvwr is more i can tow less, and if it is less i can tow more. Right or wrong?

#16 ·
9200 is what i can have on my truck including the tongue weight, correct?.
Yes

I got 16,800 from subtracting the 9200 gvwr from the 26,000 cdl limit. My understanding was that i can tow the difference up to 26k without a cdl.
Yup. Up to 16,800 GVWR.

And if my trucks gvwr is more i can tow less, and if it is less i can tow more. Right or wrong?
Yup

#23 ·
Well with that logic you could tow 22,000 with a hyundai Your talking about being CDL legal only but there are other laws too. A 9200 GVWR truck is rated to tow around 10000
Not agueing because im sure your probally right, but what other laws are you talking about? There has to be a legal way to do it with a 3/4 ton, if not how do guys pulling a 3 car hauler do it? I got a friend of mine that gets pulled over on average 2xs a week and checked by DOT that's pulling a 3 car wedge with a 2500 cummins on a normal liecence

#26 ·
I was told this too, but i talked to a DOT officer last week about it and he said you don't. He said as long as your not over the total 26k combined, and that the truck and trailers registration is really what they look at. "meaning" Pay the state a bunch of money in registration fees and your good, if not i'll give you a fine and we'll get our money anyway. I have come to the conculsion that there job isn't about safety its about how much money the state can make off us working ppl, I just want to have everything right so when they do pull me they can't give me a ticket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.