dump trailer recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn and stump, Mar 23, 2001.

1. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I am looking for a low profile 10' dump trailer to haul brush-mulch-lazer-z anybody have any advice?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i just got a new 6 by 10 udump trailer. it is very well built and should last a long time. will hold the right amount to haul mulch and rubble and im planning on putting a leaf box on it this fall. i recommend udump or brimar. both make a quality dump trailer. foster trailers also makes a dump trailer that you can haul a bobcat with too.

[Edited by mdb landscaping on 03-23-2001 at 08:38 PM]
  3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I just saw an ad for tomaster trailers.They are making a dump now you can use it for dumping or transporting a bobcat.You can see it at http://www.tomastertrailers.com
  4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We rent Bri-mars during the summer from a local supplier here in town. We treat them as if they were our but they get the snot beat out of them by others. They withstand the abuse really well. One of the smaller trailers they broke the welds on the bottom pan and they are always breaking springs but other than that they are pretty painless.
  5. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Get a gooseneck dump trailer. I have used both bumper pulls and gooseneck hitches and the gooseneck pulls better due to the weight placement directly over the rear wheels. As far for the light mulch you'll be ok with a bumper pull. Now if you ever get into hauling sand, gravel, or any wet soil 2 or 3 yards will really put a load on your truck. Also be sure to have electric brakes on both axles to handle the stops unless you decide to go with surge brakes. Oh yeah, there are two kinds of gates, spreader and swing door style. The doors are better for mulch and loading equipment. Last but not least you'll need a good 3/4 ton or beter truck and H.D. bumper, reciever hitch and or gooseneck hitch.
  6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

we are going to buy a 16 foot dump. Take my advice, buy the biggest trailer you can afford. on the dumps, they all seem to run in that 3000 range, so get the biggest hitch pull. For leaves or mulch, the weight isn't much of an issue, so go for volume. Heavy stuff, like topsoil, gravel, sand, be careful dumping alot of that. you'll need a gooseneck on more than 3-4 tons of that stuff Dave g
  7. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

You are lucky too find a dump trailer for around $3k in boston a good one will run you $6k-10k almost cheaper and better to buy a dump used.I wish that we could get them that cheap here.
  8. Kevin Pinhard

Kevin Pinhard LawnSite Member

I have a 6' x 12' dump trailer bumper pull with a swing out gate, deck over! I was looking into a new one that sat lower with a gate for hauling equipment ie: lawnmowers bobcats, a salesman told me I would not be happy with the dump capabilities of this lower unit as compared to my deck over model. I have hauled everything from mulch,topsoil, brush, and gravel my trailer has worked fantastic I love it. It is rated at 10000 pounds and will dump up to 4 tons with no problem any more than that and you'll be shoveling some off!!!!! One word of caution as someone else mentioned you will need a farely stout truck to haul it around with. I had a 96 Dodge half ton 4x4 and it really worked to pull it loaded,so i went to 97 F350 4x4 srw with the powerstroke, this is a good combination. I can't honestly say that the deck over is better for dumping but it stands to reason with it sitting higher and having a swing out gate that it would. The gooseneck is a great idea too, just remember you'll loose some truck bed space with this set up and have to keep things out of the way of the swing. Hope this helps!!!!!!
  9. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

Hey guy's let me know if your willing to travel to get a dump trailer my brother inlaw works for a dump trailer manufacture and i can get some good discount's from him! I won't say they name of the company on here don't want to get in any trouble! Email me for more info!
  10. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We are currently working on building one. We are making it 20' with 15' of it dumping and the first 5' stationary for equipment. I am putting a side gate on both the side of the 5' stationary section and on the front side of the dump section. It is cool as I think I wll make the wall between the front 5' and the dumping 15' removable so i can have more room for equipment incase I ever need it for such. I Have much planning to do =).