Dump Trailer ?'s

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Watkins Landscaping, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Watkins Landscaping

Watkins Landscaping LawnSite Member

looking to purchase a low profile dump trailer(~7x12) to use for hauling mulch, stone, dirt and tree limbs. located in harford county maryland. would be pulling it with a 96 F-350 Diesel. looking for advice/suggestions. thanks

-Dual piston or Scissor Lift ?

- good brands/dealers

- rear gate & other options ?

What kind of problems have people been running into with theirs?:confused:

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have my dump yet but am pretty familiar. for what your hauling you WANT to get over-the-wheel. it's all about the pile, with low-pro they double as equip haulers but suck when it comes to dumping piles. to spread your going half way down the driveway before you can empty. With over-the-wheels you can build-up a good pile before having to move forward.

Really think about how you will be using it, you'll want higher sides for mulch and leaves with the ability to add-on. Get ramps that store underneath for the occasional equipment hauling. Having LED's if an option is the way to go for lighting. Make sure the battery can be charged anywhere. Sometimes you can only charge it by plugging it in at home and a friend's has puked out on him after only a days worth of up and down. Get the coal chute option for doing mulch/dirt/stone jobs, really is very handy and neat ( not making a mess all over the road loading your wheelbarrow) Make sure the tires/rims aren't some wacky special order thing, thats another place you can get screwed.

Hope this helps

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 6x10' CAM low profile and love it. I needed the low profile for my needs. It dumps well, but you do have to have a kind of long pile. I would sayb that it is only a few feet longer than the deck overs with the wheels under the bed. I think a dual piston lift is the way to go. A scissor lift is pretty cool, but they are expensice. A lot of Grn Mtn's ideas are right on. LEDs, good wheels and tires, and a coal chute are great. Make sure that you can charge the battery through your truck with the 12v wire. That is how mine is set up. It cvharges the battery while it is hooked up to a running truck. I have had mine for 1.5 years, I have used it twice a week for that time and never had a low battery or had to charge it. DO NOT get the spreader gate if you can. It is a PITA and just makes a mess. Get the barn doors, it is a little more $$$, but very well worth it.

4. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

I would look into a PJ trailer. Since you are in Harford County I would look up Fayette Trailer Sales in PA. Great Prices and service.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I had a Big Tex that lasted for years before I got a hook lift. Everyone has made good points here. One thing I look for is quality and toughness. Alot of companies offer ramps that hook onto the sides for hauling equipment, which I think is a plus. Good luck! :)

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i've got Down Easter...........i think they make a low pro too

7. Watkins Landscaping

Watkins Landscaping LawnSite Member

great info !
    down to my last decision..
    Dual piston or Scissor lift ??:confused:

8. Lucky1

Lucky1 LawnSite Member

I'll second the PJ dump trailer, mine is going on three years I have had it no problems, bough at Fayette sales, great trailer for the money.:weightlifter:

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

scissor lift is faster had both in New Orleans last year way to slow for rock or top soil, or mulch installations take way to long. I would get a cheap dump truck, instead.

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Insurance is a lot more on a dump truck vs a dump trailer and you can haul more with a trailer vs a truck.