Dump Trailer size

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grasscutter845, Sep 21, 2008.

1. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

What do you guys think is ther perfect dump trailer size to have a leaf box on? I have a 1/2 ton chevy and was thinking about getting at 6x10.. What do you guys use??

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

A 6x10 with a 10000 gvw would be great. You should have about 4 tons of payload. Adding a set of timbrens to your truck would proably be in your best intrest!

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i used a 5x8 dump trailer when i owned my GMC 1500, and it's load capacity matched my truck's trailering abilities perfectly, just make sure whatever you get has tandem axles, otherwise a lot more weight ends up on the trucks rear end.

4. grasscutter845

How high did you bulid your sides on the trailer?

5. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Just got my 6'2" x 12' EZ Dumper trailer 10k gvwr but I got this size because it was the minimum size I needed to haul my Kubota BX24 with. It's a nice size and I am going to eventually build a box for it but waiting to discover the "perfect" material to build with...I think there must be something better than plywood and 2x4's...something more lightweight to allow easier on and off access...like an aluminum framed box with sheet metal sides (or something like it)??? In no great hurry so I will come up with a great lightweight box design...

6. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

What dealer did you get that EZ dump from? I just got a dump trailer off craiglist this weekend with wooden stake sides. I pulled them right off and building a frame and wrap heavy heavy plastic material around the frame so I can blow some leafs in soon.

7. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Hi NH BOY...I got my EZ Dumper from JJM in Salem NH (The Trailer Guy). There was a $500 off sale a couple weeks ago. I really think I'm going to love this thing...!

By the way, I'd like to see your leaf rig when u get her finished...post some pics ok? I'm gonna post some of my trailer too.

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a half ton too, I have been thinking about getting a dump trailer next year. A guy I know has a 5x8 which would work great for me, but I always wanted a compactor tractor so if I get a dump trailer maybe I will upgrade to a 6x12

9. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

6x10 or 6x12 would be good I think. My dump trailer is 7x14.

10. grasscutter845

I talked to the dealer today and he said he could give me a cam superline 6x10 3.5 ton for like 4300.. Think thats a good deal, also is a 3.5 ton good enough for leaves or will i need the 5 ton?