Dump trailer size

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Somthinrandm, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Somthinrandm

Somthinrandm LawnSite Member

wanting to buy a dump trailer and sell my equipment flatbed trailer. both trailers have the same 14,000lb gvwr. Im thinking that if i buy a big enough dump trailer like a 7x14 dump then ill be able to "kill two birds with one stone" a dumper to haul mulch and stone, and it will also be wide enough to haul equipment too. DOes anyone do this? or should i keep my flatbed equipment trailer and buy a less expensive smaller dump trailer like a 6x12.

I see more smaller dump trailers (6x12) on the road than larger ones (7x14). why is this. is it only because those are cheaper. or do most landscapers have a dumptruck and a dump trailer.

Thoughts thanks?
    i do more landscape install stuff than lawncare stuff. so i have to keep that in mind to when shoping on size

2. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Thats something I have been thinking over. I'd like to replace my deckover with a dump. The trouble is that the dumps are so heavy, that I would be over weight. Also a pain to load and secure equipment. The other problem is that dumpers are usually quite short, or else the hoists are either underpowered or very slow. If I could get around all that, it would be a nice way to go. I have been contemplating a custom made aluminum low deckover with removable sides........

3. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

I know some guys use dump trailers to haul machines but I personally never would other then a dingo. I've got a 7x14 dump trailer and it's extremely heavy. I use the dump trucks to haul mulch, stone etc. The only real work it gets is when I've got a job I can leave a couple guys at in the morning with the trailer full of material, or for them to fill up with cr*p and pick them up at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong, dump trailer's are extremely versatile, but I guess I'm just a dump truck guy

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

dump trucks are for the pros/full timers. trailers are for occasional use.

5. AdvLandscapeLLC

AdvLandscapeLLC LawnSite Senior Member

best trailer i ever purchased 7x16 14000# gross

6. AdvLandscapeLLC

hauling a 7200# mini

30658_10150191876630472_551745471_12828457_5118362_n.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  7. AdvLandscapeLLC

I think thats a bullsh** statement, if you need a vehicle to define you or your job then maybe you have greater issues. If the piece of equipment allows you to do your job more effectively and economically then who cares whether its driven or towed.

8. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

when i was in the same decision process, i ended up going with an old Chevy C65 dump truck. nothng fancy,gas engine but just keeps doing the work. also it was less to purchase than the trailers i was pricing. so far it has been a great investment. i would much rather tow on a deckover trailer. when i need the dump truck i use it or otherwise i can tow with smaller trucks.

9. Somthinrandm

I was considering buying another truck (dump) but my problems with that is that they are so expensive if I was going to get one I want it with dump and fold down sides So I can unload pallets. I would rather save my $$$ and get a good custom truck. The ? Of getting a dumptrailer arose when I was at the rock yard 3 weeks ago and we spent an hour trying to keep the pea gravel on the flatbed. We had the gravel wrapped in tarp but it was still a scary drive. Not trying to kill anyone on the road. has anyone out there put 2ft sides on their equipment trailer for this reason. Send pics? Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Somthinrandm

I like ur dump "advlandscapllc" !!! I have a fifth wheel hitch in my truck to but I would have to get rid my camper shell to do that. I love my camper shell really keeps my plants safe during transport. Thanks for all input.
    Posted via Mobile Device