1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Trailer Tailgate

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jandreau, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jandreau

jandreau LawnSite Member

I am in the process of building a 14' dump trailer and can't decide what style tailgate would be better. I think the barn door tailgate would work better for dumping leaves, but was hoping to get some input from people that have used them.

2. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an H&H trailer that has a 3-way gate. REALLY comes in handy. It swings open at the bottom for spreading stone like a dump truck (Also has chains for setting the gate where you want it). It opens like a pickup truck and lowers from the top. And it also swings open to the side to completely open the back up. Very versatile.

3. jandreau

jandreau LawnSite Member

Do you have any pictures of your tailgate? I did a search for a 3 way gate but couldn't find any decent pictures.

4. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I would just go with the barn doors. I have a 14' PJ and 99% of the time I just open the doors. Leaves will get stuck dumping with the regular gate. While dumping dirt, stone, mulch etc, the gate also seems to drag the pile out longer, instead of dumping in one pile....if that makes sense?

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 3 way tail gate on my dump trailer there are pictures somewhere in my thread

6. jandreau

jandreau LawnSite Member

I will look and see if I can find it. Thank You

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

PAGE 51 if you didnt find it already