1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dump Trailer Thoughts

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BckYrdLmbrJk, Oct 28, 2013.

Whatcha'll think I should do?

1. 6x12 bumper pull

1 vote(s)
  2. 7x12 bumper pull

7 vote(s)
  3. 7x14 bumper pull

22 vote(s)
  4. 7x14 gooseneck

1 vote(s)
  5. Duddde nooo, just get a dump truck

3 vote(s)
  1. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

I can imagine. I have a 6.0 and with 3 yards mulch and the weight of the trailer I can feel it. Soo looking forward to a bigger diesel truck.
  2. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

no rust, those pics are from this spring when i bought it, its a 2013, the wheels were powder coated black to match the trailer, same with the side boards, I bought pressure treated lumber, and stained them black with 3 coats just to finish off the look. check out my work thread for pics of my stuff.
  3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

I bought the bri mar deluxe 6X10lp (10k) dump a year ago and it has worked well so far. I got it with landscape gate, which sometimes I regret (then debris gets stuck- the whole gate fell off one time). but the gate is very handy with mowers and loading it up you can walk right up. If I had my choice I would rather go with the ramps and combo gate, but its very expensive to make this choice after they've sold it to you already. The landscape gate is HEAVY - maybe 200+ lbs but rated at 4,500 lbs which I have loaded a 4,500lb mini excavator on and a mini skid steer on. the agle is steep like guys have said. I always have the rental place load it when I haven't done it before lol. be very careful.
    I bought 3 sheets of 4'x8' expanded metal to raise the walls. Used 2x4s in the stake pockets, but would prefer metal, still looking.. I have a Toyota tundra and I have pulled 2 pallets of sod (2.5k-3k lb each and it was hurting but it did it...)
    The only thing I am not satisfied with is the trailer bed has some paint peeling away and the 2"X.3" round pieces that help hold the gate on 2 have fallen off. thought it would last a lot longer. other than that everything is good.
    The problem I run into is
    1) I don't know if I can get a large ztr or stander mower in there because the gate is so steep. but I guess if I got a mini skid or mini x in I should be able to get it on there.
    2) (mostly in the fall) when I have debris or mulch I cant use the trailer for the equipment and materials. Sometimes I get away with it all packed up with my mower and a bunch of crap in there like mulch, leaves, debris.. I guess that is the advantage of a dump truck and equipment trailer, but that is another story.

GOOD LUCK with your trailer my friend. hope it serves you well
  4. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

lol I put two pallets of sod in the back of my 97 f-350 diesel with 287,000 miles it was handled the weight very well, and shut the tailgate...
  5. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Don't forget to get your CDL if it's rated for over 10 K lbs.
  6. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

i believe only in 2 states any trailer over 10,000 lbs you need a CDL . Pa. being one of those states..
  7. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

yea you don't need a CDL in most states for 10k
  8. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

We went with a Moritz 14 foot 14k bumper pull with a pintel hitch. A one ton dually pulls it. and I have CDL. The dump trailer has a scissor hoist and cost about 8 grand 3 or 4 years ago. Im buying a 12 footer from Moritz this fall. This trailer is very nice. and worth the money

Dump Trailer.jpg
  9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

We do in MD technically
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

heres a better pic

Dumptrailer 2.jpg