dump trailer vs, mason dump

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GWORKS, Jan 18, 2008.

GWORKS LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey Guys. just wondering how many of you used a dump trailer exclusively instead of a mason dump. What do you find as the advantages of disadvantages to each. Right now I'm running a 550 but it is expensive to operate just trying to get a feel for how effective owning a dump trailer would be. Thanks
  2. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Ill trade you!

We have a dump trailer and are getting ready to switch to a 550 dump.

What I like about the dump:
    - No trailer rental needed when renting heavy equipment.
    - Great for storage of materials.
    - We can keep our aggregate inside and only take out what is needed. At the same time, I can drop the trailer at the job site, and take off with the truck to run errands or do other tasks.
    - Its easy to haul multiple aggregates, one or two types in the trailer, and a third in the truck bed.
    - since its lower to the ground its much easier to work out of.

What I dislike:
    - Its becomes a pain in butt disconnecting/connecting it all day long.
    - Difficult for less experienced operators to use (especially backing)
    - Weight distribution can be a pain. Our trailer is rated 4t dump capacity. sure, if its all in the rear of the trailer. Otherwise, it wont lift 4 tons. So realisticaly I can pickup 3tons worry free, or 3.5 tons as long as its spread evenly in the bed.
    - Registration (at least in Maryland) is getting to obnoxious.

Those are probably the main things that come to mind. Of course, in our case, we're going to keep the trailer and just add a truck to our inventory. This way we can chose which method(s) or equipment will best suit the days needs.
  3. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

We have 3 dump trailers, 3 dump trucks, I just don't use the trailers, they were a waste of money, too slow to unload, too hard to balance, too long for some driveways, help and trailers just don't seem to work. Also my f-550 was way too expensive for me to operate. If it was not for my duramax bailing my 550 out, it would have closed my doors.
  4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

About 6 miles away from my home is a nice, International, medium duty, truck for sale with a roll off body, and at least one roll off container.

Owned by an older man. He is selling because he is movingg away.

I don't know how much he is asking.

It appears to be in very clean condition.

I'll stop and take a picture and try to get the price. Would make a nice truck for a hardscaper.

But then again.....we're headin for a recession......may not be the best time to incurr debt.......
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

The recession is already here. It takes 6 months for the government to do its studies. When they say its here we'll probably be pulling out of it!
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

btw......I've got 2 dump trailers. A 10' 10k and a 16' 12k. The 16' came as a package deal with my Bobcat and it is used rarely as my Bobcat is moved usually with my truck. I keep it though because I gave next to nothing for it and on occasion I can hook it behind my DMAX pickup and tow it if need be. Also, I can put it behind my big truck and move a lot of whatever down the road........say Bobcat in the truck and material in the trailer or the other way around.

The 10' dump I can't get rid of. It matches up with my other Chevy pickup and whenever the big truck is down that is my back up. Its a perfect combination for my Chevy and also what I started out with. When the time comes I can even use it for a second crew and work just fine.
  7. Dexter Church

Dexter Church LawnSite Member

I currently have a 3 1/2 ton Miska dumper. I only got it at the end of last season and it has been great. I use it for my mowing route and also when i am not mowing i use it for hardscaping. It was really good when it came to fall cleanups. The reason i went with a Miska trailer was because it was the company that made a two way gate and it was near by. It works as a dumper truck doors and also a landscapers gate. So i can put mowers up and down it and also dump and materials or even haul a small excavator.