Dump Trailer Won't Dump

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stevesmowing, Oct 30, 2007.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1997 proline dump trailer. It is rated for 12,000 lbs gross. Empty the trailer is about 3500-4000. The other day I weighted in and out when I picked up some pea gravel. The gravel weighed 6,000 lbs.

When I went to dump the gravel the pump started up like it was going to start raising the trailer but after 5 seconds it started making a clicking sound and would not lift the load.

I had the battery checked out at autozone and they said it was still good. So I am guessing it is the pump. Should I try changing the oil? What type/weight oil do the take? Any other ideas? It is only a single piston design.
  2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Clicking sound? Could it be a bad solenoid or a bad switch? See if the pump is getting power when you hit the button.
  3. stevesmowing

I don't think its electrical but I am not ruling that out. The pump is turning on for sure and doing some work. If it shut it off when it starts clicking the dump bed comes down maybe 1/8" and you hear it slam onto the frame.
  4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I'm pretty ignorant about dump trailers but-
    As the motor starts working harder, it's going to start drawing more amps. You may have a bad electrical connection that can handle "some" amps, but not the full load. I'd check/clean ALL cable connections in the circuit. A bad connection may also heat some, so maybe a "feel test" might find one if you don't have a meter.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As Bill stated ^^^^^
  6. stevesmowing

I'll go back though and check all the connections. When I bough the trailer this summer the reservoir had some decent sized cracks in the top that I epoxied back up. I'm not sure how much if any dirt had gotten inside of the reservoir and if that might be causing my problem.
  7. stevesmowing

any other thoughts?
  8. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I am not sure if this model has it but check the coupler between the electric motor and the pump. It could be messed up and just slipping.
  9. EngineeredLawns

EngineeredLawns LawnSite Member

As the battery gets older, they will not lift as much. I put a new marine battery on mine and I overladed it with gravel by 1500 lbs when it went across the scales. I thought I would be shoveling because I new that with the older battery, it would make the clicking noise like you said and not lift. I got to where I was going and I told the guy it was not going to dump but that I would try, and to my suprise, it dumped. Check all your electrical connections and see if you can try a new battery if your connections are good.
  10. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I would think its an electrical problem, rather than a pump. I'd take a multimeter to electrical system, and make sure its getting the right amount of juice.