Dump trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jones68, Jan 30, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Ive put 13yds of topsoil in my trailer and had no issues of flexing or shifting when dumping even at full height. My trailer is a scissor lift.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

any information on scissor vs dual piston lift set ups?

3. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

I think a scissor lift with raise the bed higher, than a dual piston lift.

I think on My PJ Dump trailer it was 5 degrees higher with a scissor lift.

Then higher your bed goes, then gravity will make it easier for whatever you are carrying to come out. And then it makes it easier for your load not to get stuck.

4. jones68

thanks what about stability with uneven loads (side to side & front heavy)? what about lifting on a slight grade? i know my father has a single piston and it will start to twist on a grade. also know someone with a single piston bri-mar that wont lift a front heavy load he has to get in and shovel it towards the back

5. jones68

Anyone scissor vs 2 piston?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I have a Maxum 7x14 dual piston and have no issues, other than getting it stuck in a sink hole with 4 yards of topsoil inside.

-Michael

7. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Here's my 20' PJ with twin hydraulics on a scissor lift. It also has electric over hydraulic disc brakes that I added for $3800. 9000 lbs empty and rated for 16K loads but it will hold more with ease since much of the weight ends up going to the truck.

Scissor lifts were engineered for maximum strength and lifting ability. Regular lifts are used by companies too cheap to pay to have their stuff engineered.

resize.jpg

8. jones68

man that is one sweet trailer.... I am leaning towards the PJ D7 trailer 12' with 14k axles. with the scissor lift. It seems to be the best option for my needs

9. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

Here's My PJ Dump Trailer (16 ft). It's nice the End Loader Ramps are underneath the bed, which you can lock up. And I got the extra crossbeams for more strength. I've also had them put 10 heavy duty D rings inside the bed, so I can tie down almost anywhere.

I will have a few new pictures up in a few months.... because on the back of My Dump Trailer I have a hitch so I can carry My Ecolawn Spreader when I'm full of organic compost. They ran power to the rear, so on the carrier it has brake & turn signals & I just plug in My 7 way. It's a really nice set up.....but go it together too late last season to take any pictures (dump trailer in storage for the winter)....but will get them up this Spring.

And I think for the money, PJ Trailers are very well built! Just make sure you get the extra crossbeams....they are well worth it!

And oh yeah, this Spring I will also be adding bed extenders to the sides....and paint them red to make the trailer a little brighter so other drivers see me a little bit better. Because being an all black trailer, people don't always pay attention when their driving. And if they hit me, it will be like hitting a little tank, because this trailer is very heavy!!!

PJ Dump Trailer 16 ft & truck (small).jpg

PJ Dump Trailer 16 ft (small).jpg

10. igotdiesel2

igotdiesel2 LawnSite Member

I have a 10' dump trailer with scissor lift. I have noticed at the dump and other places most guys with single or duel pistons want a scissor lift because of the speed that it goes up and the height as well. I was also told that scissor lift trailers do better if the trailer is on uneven ground. I have never done that so I really don't know if that is true or not. I have had 5 tons of gravel on mine and it lifts it with no problem. PJ trailers a great. The fist thing I would tell you is ask them if you could get a deal if you didn't buy the battery that they put in the trailer. I say this because in my experience the marine deep cycle batteries that are in these trailers aren't all they are cracked up to be. I run a forklift style battery in mine. Still 12V with a higher amp output and a deeper drain. I use interstate batteries. I have unloaded 5 tons before and drug out the jumpers to help the guy next to me get his load out of his trailer plenty of times. -Jason