Dump trailors

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kelly Lawn, Feb 17, 2004.

1. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

I was thinking about buying a 16' dump trailor but have nevr used one before. Does any one have one and what do the use is for. How much do the cost?

Could I use it like a regular trailor to carry mowers on and then have it when I need it? Any good websites?
  2. mownlawns

mownlawns LawnSite Member

I have a 6X12 low profile Bri-Mar dump trailer with rear expanded metal dump gate. Bri-Mar is located in Chambersburg, PA and there are several dealers for their trailers. The dump gate allows it to function both as a dumper and allows equipment loading. The only thing I might suggest is that you will need quite a truck to pull a 16 ft. dump trailer. My 12' weighs about 2700 lbs. if I remember correctly and has a 10,000 lb. capacity. That leaves you about 7300 lbs. capacity. It doesn't take long to reach tha capacity with dirt / gravel. I pull it with a 2003 2500HD GMC and it's about all I would want to handle capacity-wise. It will haul about 4.5 yards of mulch or similar material without sideboards. I actually have my trimmer / blower racks mounted to mine. Works fine.

3. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Mid-Atlantic trailer and absolutely love it. It's been a real money maker for me. I shopped all around at the major brands on the market before buying this one and there wasn't any others that could touch the quality that is put into a Mid-Atlantic trailer. I use it for hauling mulch as well as gravel behind my F350. The weight of these trailers is a factor - and you'll need a decent truck to handle the load. My dump has a remote which I can use while driving my truck for spreading gravel on driveways. Most trailers out on the market that offer a feature of being able to dump that way - have a long cord that you have to stretch from the trailer to your window and it can be quite cumbersome I would think. The remote feature was just another reason I went with a Mid. But be prepared - dumps are pricey - but if you are going to use it in your business - don't settle for a junky trailer - you'll be sorry in the end. My motto when buying equipment as well as for my business itself is: "The bitter taste of poor quality will long outlast the sweet taste from a cheap price".
  4. Last year I bought a 5 ton, 12' Hawke that I used mostly to haul construction debris but also haul my compact tractor with it. It's heavy and every time I use it I wish I had a bigger truck than the 5.3 liter Chevy 1/2 ton.
  5. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

I want a 16 ft dump with a leaf box likemdb landscaing
  6. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

I'd put a dump insert in a long bed or buy a dump truck, depending on the capacity you need. Then it is always with you. On the other hand, it will be harder to get wheel barrows in, etc.
  7. kelly Lawn

kelly Lawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great responses!
  8. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 10' Big Tex. Very heavy duty. You can haul skid steers, mowers, etc. Mine cost around $4400.
  9. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6.5 x 14 ez-dumper works great tows great and hauls just about everything i need.
  10. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

We have a Bri-Mar dual axle dump trailer with a 12k# GVWR. It weights about 4k# so the capacity is around 4 ton. We absolutely love it. With the sides we put on it we carried 10 cu. yds. of black root mulch and it dumped it no problem. We have also loaded it with white play sand, but it can only get a few yards due to the weight of sand (~1.5 ton = 1 cu. yd.)

We have a few interesting features on ours. The gate has two functions. Its style is like a barn gate and splits open to each side. In addition, if we choose, we can have the bottom swing out to only allow so much of the product out, great for laying stone in the parking lot. Also, we have two ramps that store up under the deck of the trailer. This allows us to get something as big as a Kubota L35 on it.

All in all, we paid around 7k with tax, the tarp roller, the sides, and the type of gate we got with it. Was one of our best purchases. Now for our mulch jobs all our equipment like blowers, rakes, pitch forks, wheel barrels, etc. go in the pickup truck bed while all the mulch/whatever goes into the dump trailer. Not to mention the savings on operating expenses, maintenance expenses, and insurance for an equivalent size dump truck!!