DUMP TRUCK - diff between electric and PTO dumping

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bigjeeping, Feb 20, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

What's the difference?

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

PTO runs off the transmission or hydraulics, electric is just electric and has no affect on on the power train of the truck. it's like an electric lift gate.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

PTO is an auxilary drive comming off of the transmission. This drive then is linked to your hydraulic pump and from there the pump will move fluid to the dump's hydraulics.

An electric pump uses electricity generated by the engine to run the pump and from there to the dumps hydraulics.

A PTO driven pump will last for a long time if not forever, electrics are not nearly as dependable. Electrics are a little simpler to set up and mount. For PTO driven units install is a little more intricate.

4. bigjeeping

If they install the PTO is that the same as saying "central hydraulics"

Also... what are the benefits of a scissor hoist vs. telescoping, or vise versa?

thanks guys! :drinkup:

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For hydraulics you have 3 choices which is clutch pump which is like a air conditioning pump that pumps hydraulics you turn a switch on engages a pulley turns the pump off the front of the engine. Second choice PTO runs off your transmission its the most powerfull and reliable but is the most expensive. The PTO for a 5spd in light trucks is 500-700 dollars you still have to buy a pump and hydraulic tank that is another 600 dollars. Then last choice and last resort electric pump doesn't have much power it doesn't last long and its hard on batteries. If your doing repetive dumps say moving material around a site you don't want a electric hydraulic power pack.

Most tow trucks run a clutch pump most dump trucks run a PTO pump you really can't drive down the road with a PTO engaged. For that kind of application you need a crank driven pump kinda like you see on the front of redimix trucks.

For dump hoist I debated it and I went with the post hoist its the most bang for the buck. A post hoist will out lift a scissor hoist pound for pound also its less weight. A scissor hoist adds weight to your truck with the scissor mechanism the hoist I bought is rated for 8 ton I can lift it by hand the same rated scissor hoist weighs over 400lbs.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well it all depends on whether you want to rip your hair out or not waiting for the ever slow electric pumps to raise the bed. I got central hydro on my F-350 dump and its the only way to go. I will never buy another truck that doesn't have central hydro. If not, it will get one before its put into service.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Good post gravel rat! That was very clear as well as informative.

8. bigjeeping

If I put a undertailgate spreader on... how do you lift the bed while you're driving?

Thanks so far everyone! Should be getting a dump installed within a few weeks

9. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

evem though i dont drive i like PTO much better.

10. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I bet the pto drive will be some serious $$$. I am getting electric installed on mine. Kit was about $1300 for 5 ton.