Dump Truck For Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LTDLawnCare, Feb 6, 2007.

1. LTDLawnCare

LTDLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am currently looking to buy a dump truck for my growing Lawn Care Business. My partner seems to think that it is not neccessary. I think that it will help open doors for the company and create new opportunity with Mulching, Spring and Fall Clean-ups. I would like to know what you guys think. I am just looking for advice on how to sell him on the idea of a dump truck or if you guys could come up with enough reason not to get one. I will be looking at a used dump for under $5k

Ryan

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

under 5k? WHERE AT? :)

i just bought an 06 f350 diesel, i too was thinking back and forth about a dump f450 or something, but then too many drawbacks for my business now. I wouldnt need it "that" often to warranty the cost and drawbacks.

just a dump body was another 8k+ over the ford frame of 38k :/

3. LTDLawnCare

I found an 84' F350 for $2500. I would be using it locally, just for the business.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

To the original poster,

How many accounts are you currently servicing? What is the breakdown as far as residential/commercial?

IMHO, if you are just doing residential lawn care with only a few commercials, you dont need a dump truck. If you are doing a large amount of landscaping or mulching or new installs, then it may be nessecary. I would consider a dump truck if your doing over 35% of your sales in new lawn constructions/sod or mulching and such.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you want something that old? Are you mechaincally inclined so if and when it dies or has a problem, can you fix it?

Spend wisely, you'll get what you pay for. I would not be using a truck that old because I am looking at maintaining a professional appeal to my customers.
    Not to say an old truck isn't appealing but oil leaks and problems suck. Nothing worse than being at a job all ay and when you leave, their is a huge oil spot from where your truck was parked all day! I'm not sure if that's the image I would want to be putting out.

6. LTDLawnCare

50% of my business is commercial and about 20 % of all business is clean-ups. In New England there are a ton of leaves to pick up in the fall. I wanted to buy the dumptruck and a vac so that we could service all of our clients and many more with the fall clean-up. Right now we are putting the leaves in a 5'x6' trailer and hauling them to a nearby compost depot. Taking lots of extra time and costing big $$$

7. LTDLawnCare

I am somewhat mechanically inclined and it is a 84' diesel with 150k on the original motor with one owner

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You can find a good dump for 10-15k. I would not buy a cheapo... I would wait to buy a good one. I couldn't live w/o my dump. I would get a flatbed dump so it will still be able to haul a few pallets of sod, plant material, etc. I would also try to get a 12 footer.

9. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

LTD, check your private messages.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Having a dump in lawn care is a great time and labor saver. I've got a dump insert in my Chevy 2500HD. I figure it saves me $20 every time I push the button. I used it 74 times in 2006, so it saved me over $1400.

There's no way I would mess around with a dump truck for under $5K. If you do, be prepared to dump money and time into it. An since time is money in this business, you are money ahead with a newer more reliable truck.

IMO a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup with a dump insert is just as good or better than a 1 ton dually with a flat deck or stake side dump. The dually flat deck can hold more volume, but a 1 ton dually dump will weigh 7500-9000 lbs. empty. With a GVWR of 10-12K depending on the make and year, that gives you a 2500-3000 lb. payload, the same as my 2500HD pickup with dump insert.