Dump Truck for sale.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by BIGBEN2004, Mar 7, 2008.

1. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

A neighbor down the street has a back-hoe and septic business. I drove by his place today and noticed he is selling his dump truck. It is a 2002 GMC 7500 with a Eatan 8 speed manual, Cat 250Hp. air brakes. It has a 10' steel dump and is in perfect condition. I have not talked to him yet but I think he only hauled stone in the bed since it didn't have one dent in the bed. It has 48,000 miles on it and he is asking $30,000 OBO. What do you all think of it? I wish I had some extra coin because I would buy it. I need a good single axle to go with my skid steer.

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Why does he want to see the truck?

So he can get a tandem truck since he has a backhoe and septic bus??????:usflag:

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

BigBen, if you are set on a single axle look at buying one for $10-$12k, that way in a year or so you can get out from underneath it fairly inexpenisively and then consider a tandem. I have a single axle that has been a good truck to pull with, but whenever I need something hauled I sub out to a tandem. They may be daunting for your first truck, so go single.....just don't spend $30k. After you get used to driving one and you get a good feel of the market, you will see that a tandem for 90% of your applications is the way to go.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't big Ben already have a International tandem ?

The old GMCs are not bad but it is still a single axle with limited payload.

5. BIGBEN2004

No I wish I had a dump truck. I pull my machine with a 2002 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax Allison 4X4. It pulls it good but that is all it can do. I can haul fuel on it but no rocks or small amounts of dirt. I understand where you are coming from about the Tandem or even a Tri axle but for a truck that will pull my machine and haul little amounts a single axle is the way to go for now. It should do a little better on fuel and will wear less tires out every time it is pulling my skid loader around. I sub out my trucking jobs now and it still makes me money and I don't have to worry about owning trucks or insurance ect. on all of them. A small single axle would be good for the small jobs or the jobs where at the end of the day I have two buckets full of rocks to take off the job and I can take them with me and still pull the trailer and machine home. I do see your point about spending $30,000 and I agree it is too high. I can find a nice one with more miles and a little older for somewhere in the teens and it will fit the bill perfectly and that is what I will probably do when work picks up some and financially I am able.

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

If you do go single axle which is what I have been shopping for as well be careful about buying one that has enough power.
    Most of the 250 hp snd less trucks I have looked at are pigs.They will not pull like your Duramax.
    Here there are tons of International trucks in the 185 hp to the 225hp range and they are pitiful power wise.

7. BIGBEN2004

That is what I have always found. The small truck market seems to always under power their trucks and I don't know why. We have a cab over on the farm that is a 98 6500 Chevy with a Cat 3116 that is only 190 Hp. and a Allison 4 speed auto. and it just plain is pathetic. It barely has enough power to move itself empty but with a load it almost stops on some hills and always overheats. I want a truck more around the 300Hp and up with nothing less than a 9 speed. I figure that would be enough truck. I am spoiled after driving our Tractor and trailer with a 13 speed and a 425 Cummins. Also where I used to work they had a Tri axle with a 500Hp. Cat and a 10 speed. I could fill that thing up and still it felt almost like a sports car.