dump truck hitch problem

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by vaacutabove, Sep 22, 2012.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 97 1 tun dump. I need to pull my mowing trailer with it this fall for clean ups. But It has a pintail (sp) type ball on it. My mowing trailer is a high side (18 in) and it will jack knife because the bed hangs over it. Is there a way to extend in a few inches. I will try and get pic's up soon.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Go to a fab shop. Get an extended hitch put on truck or extend tongue on trailer. Easy fix.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. vaacutabove

Could I use this? I know its used to go into a receiver and then a ball added.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442408_200442408

I was thinking of attaching the flat part to the truck and using a 2 in sleeve and then adding a regular hitch. sounds like a lot but its all rated at 10k. My mowing trailer will only have a stand on and blower gas trimers and ect.

4. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

You can get a hitch extension that looks like 2 plates , one bolts to the truck and the other side as bolt holes for a pintle .
    I think it extends the hitch 4" John

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Just be sure to understand that using the extender much like a drop down can significantly decrease your load capacity.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

It will be a lot stronger if you cut the tongue off the trailer and extend it instead of messing with the truck hitch
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. vaacutabove

Big red the o ly problem w that is i have 4 trailers. Thats why i was looking in to the truck. Going to take it to a fab shop i guess. Just wondering if i was missing something
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

Buyers sells a hitch extender I have 5 of them the are great bolts on back of truck then
    Posted via Mobile Device