Dump Truck needed?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Jeffservices, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Jeffservices

Jeffservices LawnSite Member

I have been in business for 6 years, I started when I was 16 with a 48 inch walk behind and 15 customers. I graduated from a '88 Ford Ranger to a F250 PSD. I do about 55-65 lawns per week, half of which I bag collect and take away. I do about 100-120 yards of mulch per year. I also do a bit of JUST delivering of mulch. I am looking at an F450 PSD with a 12 ft landscape dump body, $30,000. Do you think this purchase is justifiable? Or do you think I just want new equipment? At this time I use my 6x12 aluminum landscape trailer with 3ft sides and shovel all mulch off. I can normally haul 6 - 7 yds without exceeding the sides. I can add another 2.5 in the bed of the truck if I really want to, but since they load with a 6 yard bucket, I normally lose out of about an 1/8 of the mulch that goes behind my tailgate.

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Only you know the answer.

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a dump trailer? Or a dump insert for your truck?

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You can find an older used 450 for much cheaper than that. If it's going to get used a lot, and I mean a lot, then I could justify spending 30,000 for a dump truck.

If it's going to get used every so often, then keep looking. Lots of companies are downsizing and unloading older trucks they don't use anymore.

I found my 87 f-350, with a dump and plow, that needed some work, for 3000. Some months it sits and does nothing, some months it gets used every day. And besides, parts are CHEAP, and luckily my neighbor is a Mech.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Dump trailers are the way to go. You can get a big load on them and not have the added expense of a truck.

6. Jeffservices

I have been looking at the dump trailers also. I will have 2 guys spreading mulch for me while myself and another employee mow lawns. So either way I would have to get another truck, whether I get it with a dump or in conjunction with a dump trailer. Thanks

7. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 1-ton dump and could only get 4 yards of mulch on it. I have a 6.4 x 16 trailer and I can get 6 yards of mulch on that. I sold the dump! Trailers don't use as much gas and they are a lot cheaper. Plus there is no climbing into a dump to get all that hard to reach mulch!

8. Jeffservices

I am still looking over last years figures to see how much I will actually use this truck if I would get it. I am all for growing my business and I think that this might help to kick start that process. Thanks for your replies.

9. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I would don't go new. Find a dealer that sells used commercial trucks and go with one of those. Used truck will be as good as a new one, it will last as long, will come with a warranty backed by a dealer, and you won't be paying as much.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I like the idea of the 450 over a one ton (350) A F350 won't have much of a payload. I have an old GMC 3500HD (15,000gvw) I have 5 foot sides, and can haul about 10 yards of mulch.