dump truck or compact excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcatboy, Jun 18, 2005.

1. bobcatboy

bobcatboy LawnSite Member

I have been looking at a f-650. I have also been looking at a 337 bobcat. The dump gives me the indepedence of not having to wait on people to show, but on the other hand havinghe compact excavator opens up alot of doors. let me know what you guys think

2. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 LawnSite Member

need something to haul around all the stuff you excavate first....just my .02

3. bobcatboy

thats a good piont, give me some more pros and cons. there is a guy I was using for hauling but he keeps getting higher and he dosent come when you need him. I gues I could just rent a machine when I need one.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Two things stay away from Ford F-Series medium duties and look at different brand excavators. If you want a medium duty dump look at International or if you can afford one Pete or Kenworth. The International is about the only single axle that if your looking for a 26,000lb gvw truck you still get a decent engine 466 with decent gearing. Most F-650s are shod with the under powered 5.9 Cummins or the too expensive to fix 3126 Cat.

If you were not worried about CDL I would be looking for a tandem over a single axle. Technically a tandem doesn't cost you much more to operated except for 4 extra tires. A tandem doesn't cost much more over a single you can find a L-8000 or L-9000 Ford for a decent price.

I don't imagine you are into heavy hauling or excavating so a L-8000 tandem with 8 or 10 litre power 8spd 40,000lb rear 16,000 front with a 14' or 15' box with low sides would haul what you need to-do. The truck will haul 10 yards of gravel or 12 yards of mulch and topsoil.

As for excavators I would be looking at Hitachi Deere Cat Kubota or Takuechi they are better excavators. I'am not overly impressed with Bobcat mini's they build good skid steers but their minis are not so good.

A excavator does make you better money over a truck but it depends on what you are doing I don't know what other equipment you own. Having a dump truck is more for convience it won't make you much profit if you have to pay a driver to drive it.

6. bobcatboy

the 650 I was looking at has the cat 3126, with 220 hp. The truck also has a 6spd manuel with 45k. It has ext cab with 10ft bed, they want 30k for it what do you think. I know you say that it is an exspensive engine but what is the life of that engine if well mantained.

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The 3126 is okay but it is troublesome with its HUEI fuel system it is better than the 5.9 Cummins but not as good as a 466 International.

Personally I don't like the F-650 and F-750 I would rather have a L series or look at a Sterling. You really don't want the ext cab either it adds weight to the truck and increases the wheelbase it also lessens your vision.

You also want a 12' box if you are gonna be hauling topsoil you need the volume or you won't beable to carry much.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you're hauling a 450 size excavator and you don't have a lowboy, having to wait on someone to haul your equipment is pointless. Buy a decent truck, even though it really doesn't make you any sort of returns the investment will be worth your while down the road. I would get an International with a GVW of 33K, single rear axle and a 12 foot box. This way, you have a short truck that can easily tow a 17K pound excavator if the need arises and you can haul around 5-6 yards of whatever in the box. These trucks can be had for around $25K depending on year, prices I've seen here are all over the place from $15K-$30K depending on year, etc. I would spec at least 250 HP and I'm a Cat fan but Cummins is just fine as well. But like Gravel Rat points out, you can find a dual axle for just as cheap, in the $25K range EASILY. But a dual axle truck is heavier, burns more fuel and if you really aren't going to be needing a larger truck, spend your money on a newer, single axle truck. You might lose 4 yards of payload but if you're doing small excavation you need to figure out how much you're going to be hauling (in cubic yards) per week. I'd say that if that number exceeds 250 yards you'll need to step up to a dual axle that can transport 10 yards a load.