1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dump truck or dump Pick-up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Nov 16, 2003.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

How ya doing everyone? Need an opinion. I recently bought a 1984 Dodge 350 dump with a plow for $3000. I haven't put it on the road yet so I don't have a real opinion of its dependability. I just saw in catalog this:
    Hoist Kit Turns Your Pickup into a Dump Truck!
    Load capacity of kit is 4000 Lbs., but cargoes should not exceed GVW of your pickup. Lifts cargo box to a 45° angle in 10 seconds. Includes 12 Volt DC hydraulic pump, cylinder hardware. U.S.A.
    Does anyone in hear have this on there pick up? It's not the insert, your pick up body lifts up. The cost of this is like $900 before install, maybe do it myself. I'll prabably stick with the dodge, but I like the idea of keeping it simple. Alot of tight streets on my route, even some dead ends. Just wondering your opinion on the hoist. I'm putting a pic of the '84 dodge. Keep in mind that money is an issue, if i could afford a brand new Dump truck, I wouldn't have posted this. Thanks for your time.
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

My choice is different. I opted for a dump trailer. I use it as a dump and a utility trailer.
  3. fga

In that picture, that's my driveway, parking is a real problem. I have the garage behind the truck but my Malibu is in pieces ("Gonna Run Someday"). Dump trailer sounds awesome i know, but no room.
  4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I think you did great. I bought my dump truck 6 years ago for $3500.00 and have been making the bulk of my income with it ever sense. If I had to make payments on a new one I would not have made it this far. Money has been tight for me for about a year now. I would like to upgrade some but I still can't see myself in a new truck for a few more years. I would have jumped at your deal.

My dump trucks a 1977 C65.

View attachment t.jpg
  5. fga

Your colts beat my jets today!!!! I've heard that once you get a dump truck, you wonder how you got along with out it, and they're real money makers. I'll soon find out. I see alot guys buy $35,000 trucks thier first year and they're out of business(cuz the money wasn't proftable.....)the 2nd year.
  6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I worked yesterday and hadn't heard about the game thanks for the update. :) I like the Jets and the Packers too.
    Wonder how you got buy with out it statement is right on the money.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you from experience...stay away fro the "pick-up bed" lifts. If you're even thinking of going this route, go with the insert. They are built to lift the capacity...a p/u bed is not. In the first place, after you pay for the kit, there are modifications that have to be made to your truck bed to re-enforce the bottom. Even then, it is unstable and likes to flex when lifted. These beds, with their sheetmetal, are just not designed for this. An insert is, and has NO trouble holding, lifting, and rewmoving it's contents. Another thing with the insert, is the smooth sides. With the bed, you still have stuff caught in the wheelwells. Asd far as an actual dumptruck,... that's a great way to go, especially even with a little 1 ton or so. The only thing is then, is that you are getting into a different classification (here in Michigan, anyway), and when you start pulling a trailer, you are required to have a GVW tag, which essentially is a $500 a year license plate. Other than that and a little more maintenance, it's a great way to go.