Dump Truck vs Dump Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jslawn, Dec 23, 2010.

1. jslawn

jslawn LawnSite Member

This my have already been discussed but i just want to see what your opinions are between the two. They both have there place i know but which would you choose and why over the other? The thing with dump truck is you have to have tags and insurance , but you have a back up truck if something went wrong with your other truck. With a dump trailer they are generally heavy as is and cant carry to much of a load depending on your truck governor weight.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I went the dump trailer route. Bought a 10k pound gross 7 x 12 Bri-Mar. It would take a pretty big dump truck to have a the payload capacity my trailer does (over 3 tons). I can use it for hauling my landscape tractor and my mowers too.

The thing that makes a huge difference to a solo guy like myself is that the loading height on a low profile dump is way better...I can lift pretty heavy stuff to knee level. With a dump truck the loading height is more like chest level.

But for tight spots/maneuvering and probably overall utility, the dump truck wins hands down.

3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I went with the dump trailer for the loading ability and halling. The front loader fits nice and can be droped at a work site. I worked with a friend that had a drump truck and besides mulch he didn't seem to hall much. He had another trailer to hall his front loader. Dump trucks have a place but unless you use it almost every day it is a very large price tag to just sit in the yard. Trailers are cheep and very little to maintain. Resale value on trucks drop like a rock, but dump trailers hold their value for ever. You would have to look long and hard to find a used dump trailer. Once people get them they keep them for ever and there is a reason for that. If one comes up for sale and your not standing next to it when the sign goes on it, you'll miss it. The main thing to look at is, how much the trailer will lift when you want to dump it. I see guys unloading dump trailers by hand all the time. I'm sure their thinking "this sucks". I got a Pequea trailer. Much better than a Bri-Mar.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Its all about application when you look at dump trailers and dump trucks.

In order to make the most of a dump trailer, you have to have a good truck for it. Obviously, 1500 pick-up isn't going to be great for towing a 10k dump trailer. But if you have a 3/4 ton pick-up or larger, you can tow a dump trailer without much problem. You just have to couple the trailer with a proper truck. A 14k dump trailer is probably not going to be best used with a 2500 gas truck but rather a 3500 diesel. For the most part, the dump trailers that you'd be looking at will be 7k or 10k, which would be able to be handled by a 2500HD.

If you don't need to use a dump every day, a trailer is probably your best option. Especially if you are on a budget. You can use the truck you already own to tow the trailer, just unhook from the trailer and you have your regular truck back. Plus, if you already have an HD truck you can easily purchase an $8000 dump trailer over purchasing a second vehicle, such as a dump truck that even used would probably cost over $25000. So you can either have a dedicated dump truck that all it does is act as a dump truck or tow vehicle. With a pick-up and dump trailer your truck can still be used for whatever, even if you use it as your personal truck too.

Of course there is always the things that the previous posters stated as well.

5. wellbuilt

wellbuilt LawnSite Senior Member

I use my dump trailers (3) all the time .
    I pull it so much i had to get a dump truck .
    I vote for both .

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer dump trailers if I am doing all the work, and you can still haul your mini excavator or skid steer in the back of a dump trailer if needed.
    A dump truck is something I prefer for long distance hauling or large on site work where a dump trailer is just a pain.
    If I go with a dump trailer, I want to put a wet kit on my truck, I really hate those electric dump systems.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

whats a wet kit? i really hate my dump trailer electrical system too!

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I believe he's talking about running it from his truck with a power take off to replace the electric motor on the electric/hydraulic system on the trailer. I don't think it's usually done with small dump trailers, more the big rigs.

9. meador56

meador56 LawnSite Member

I agree we own both and each has it's place. We love our trailer especially on jobs with no place to pile gravel or sand low profile allows us to pull material directly off the trailer. We just put a blue tarp down and no clean up even the MT55 will reach in and retreive material. The down side to trailers are the electric hydraulic systems. These could be improved with more batteries(and I've thought about it) but still when you dump over and over without a road trip they just can't compete with a dump truck. We bought a GMC 5500 lo-pro with A/C 454 allison 14' flat for $6500. It was former Schwans truck that has been repainted white. Truck has 150k miles but runs like new and I find several diesels in the 10-15k range.

10. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

it would still have to have an electric motor right?