dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tnmtn, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i have been shopping for a dump truck for way too long and a couple weeks back ended the search. picked up a '79 chevy C65 with a 366 gas engine and 5 speed with split rear end. so far i am happy with it. it won't win any races but i am impressed with how it tows. best thing is it's paid for.

DSC00080.JPG

2. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

That's not a bad looking truck, pretty nice actually! On question though, how many gallons to the mile do you get....I mean miles per gallon!?

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

how much $ if you dont mind saying?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Those old Chevys are good they do rust out and the brakes are a pain but otherwise a decent truck. The old 5spds sure whine in the old Chevys you can hear a 366 and 5spd a mile away.

A project in the works would be a 454 fuel injected engine or repower with a diesel.

5. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i paid 5000 for it. the price was on the higher side but the brakes are in fine shape and no rust on the frame. i have been shopping for a truck for a couple years and this one is in the best shape of any from that era i had seen. kind of looking at the price as pay up front or pay for repairs after purchase. as far as gas consumption i'm not sure yet. haven't filled the tank all the way. lol. it seems to be doing better than i expected though and it is nice to be able to buy the cheaper gas instead of diesel.

6. seabee1

seabee1 LawnSite Member

look's like you came out real good on that deal !!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing to find would be some 22.5 Tubeless rims to get rid of the 10.00-20 tires on the truck especially for the steer axle it make the truck ride better. Those steer tires on the truck probably thump a little. You can run 11R-22.5 rubber which is easier to get plus its tubeless. Those old split rims on the steer axle tire shops won't touch.

What alot of guys did with the 366 is convert them to propane when the days you could get propane for 30 cents a litre (1.11 gallon).

This is what your truck probably sounds like :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgW2yVqRT28

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Nice looking truck! Good luck with it!

9. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a good looking old truck! There's a bunch of old 366's around here, hauling grain and water tanks.