dump trucks and stuck grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

For those of you own dump trucks, if you leave grass in the back for several days, or even for weeks prior to dumping, do you ever find that the load gets stuck in the bed? I was at the dump this year, and helped a guy shovel out his dump cus the grass was wet, and matted to the bed, and would not come out. Anyone have this trouble?
  2. dr grass

dr grass Banned

sorry man, i dont have a dump. gonna pick one up in the spring though. ill let you know than......

3. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, i have had that problem with my dump, especially in the far corners. Their are some companies around that will spray the bed of the truck, almost like a liner. They claim it will not allow any debris to stick to the bed of the dump body such as wet soil, or wet grass.
  4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Too bad Mo-Deck doesn't make a big Industrial size spray can. Seems that would help a little. lol
  5. deason

deason LawnSite Member

It is a simple fix.

Dont leave anything in the bed for any length of time. IE.-one or 2 days or weeks.

Start fixing this by keeping the bed clean after EACH dump. Then, after a while, it will clean itself.

When hauling sticky, wet rock or gravel, a very thin coat of diesel fuel applied with a garden sprayer will keep the bed slick.

Always tilt the bed slightly when the unit is parked for a while. Even a heavy dew can make the unpainted areas rust overnight.

Cleaniness is the trick.
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Most dump trucks I see are tilted when parked overnight. This is sort of like asking how to get a weeks worth of crud from under your deck, don't let it happen.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Yeah, I realize that leaving the junk sit in the bed is not ideal, I was just not sure if it would stick on a regular basis, if grass was left in there for a while. See, I don't take a great deal of grass, and when do, it usually sits in my truck for quite a while. The reason being, I hate to pay to dump, when I do not hardly have a load, and it is a pain to dump do to the layout of the facilities, and the location. I dread taking grass. If I can get more landscapeing work, I could justify the dump, but I do not think I want to take loads more grass, to justify buying a dump, that needs dumped every other day. I appreciate your honest answers fellas, they are very helpful.

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Jay- I can't say I have ever had this problem, and I have gone 2-3 weeks without dumping. I also avoid taking away grass. I might have to raise the dump, reverse, then hit the brakes in order to get it out. May have to do this several times. Sure beats the old days of forking stuff out of a pick-up. Mike
  9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I might suggest using some corn oil and a pump up sprayer. I guess you could even use old motor oil.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would highly recommend the use of diesel lightly sprayed in the bed and more frequent dumping. The only problem with the spraying of diesel fuel is you have to be concerned with hauling anything that you want to stay alive and the EPA.