dump trucks...you show me your and I'll..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ladibugg, Feb 7, 2003.

1. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

I read many post that hint about dump trucks being the main stay of a landscapers tools. However, I see most landscapers don't actually use the dump much. I see most of them pulling trailers with the truck bed empty.

1) Do you use yours?

2) What for?

3) Has it made you money you couldn't have made with a flatbed?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I do landscaping and i have a dump insert in the back of my F-250. It is a big help to me. If you cant fit into your budget than forget it. They are expensive trucks. Also think if you need to deliver dirt or mulch and or haul things off the job. Also you can invest in a dumping trailer. TO my company it is a vital thing to our every day work. Any more ?'s just ask iam like a little kid with dump trucks i love them.
    Jason

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

That is all I own... dump trucks. I could not be in business without them. From grass, leaves, mulch, chips, topsoil. etc. I use the dump for everything. I don't know how anyone could be without one.

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I am assuming your are talking about Landscape Construction and not maintenance.

Soil, crushed stone, sand, rock, mulch, excavation. Our dumps are used constantly. You could not be competitive without them.

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We use both, but our dumps are needed every day, our flat beds are used mostly for delivery, yes they may go out of the shop with nothing on them but tools and a trailer but on site moving of dirt or gravel is much faster than using a skid steer one bucket at a time. Spoils are moved off site with them but never brought back to the shop so they may leave to a off site dump during the day by the dump truck.

6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Working without a dump truck is like working without a wheelbarrow:D

7. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

I guess I should expound...I see day in and day out large empty trucks (6 ton and over) pulling trailers loaded with equipment, plants, rock, etc. At ten mpg and 55 mph these trailers are a pain.

I also see small trucks ( 1 ton and under ) weighted down with mulch, rock, soil etc. to the point that the tail pipes are dragging. I hate to think these guys will need to stop at some point...wake up guys, your brakes were not designed to hold up under that much weight.

In and out of the supply yards I see the same thing. Just wondering if the guys with dumps couldn't get by with a flat bed rather than pulling a trailer everywhere.

What I am really saying here is I don't want to pull a trailer, i want to use a flat bed. What I am asking is putting money into a large flat bed a bad idea? I am talking six ton of bigger. A big beautiful flat bed.

8. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

Get a flat bed with a dump hoist and removable stake sides and have the best of both worlds.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

ladibugg, it really depends on what you are doing. I just bought a UD 1800 cab over dump truck. It has got to be one of my best investments ever! It's a 6cyl turbo diesel, with 18,000 GVW. I get around 13 mpg and can cruise at 65 no problem,even when loaded. This truck is going to be just for maintenance and mulch. I also have internationals that are just too cumbersome to use as an everyday maintenance truck. They are great for topsoil, gravel, stone, and landscape construction though. For what I do, I could not operate without dumps. If you are just a maintenance Co. and don't collect your clippings, or bag your grass. Then I guess you wouldn't need a dump. I don't know.

10. e-RoK

e-RoK LawnSite Member

My boss said he's getting a dump this year and I'm tickled pink. Scooping mulch out of the back of a pickup sucks. Well, it's not actually TOO bad...but no one can say it's productive. And same goes for hauling away material. So much faster to dump it. And at the end of the day going back to the shop is when you really wish you had a dump.