Dump Trucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Jan 28, 2007.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I am in the market for single axle dump.

I am curious on how too find the towing capacity of the truck.I would like too be able too tow up too a 22k pound machine behind it.

I looked at a nice 1991 F700 with a 12 foot box ,Diesel ,manual trans and decent miles.
    The negative is the GVWR is 30k.
    I guess there is no way around the weight rating and having too get a CDL.(I know I will need a CDL once I start towing that much weight ,but just in the interm).
    I need it just too haul debris from jobs.
    Not really worried so much about using it for dirt and rock delivery.

Also any opinions on what you would consider a good choice make and year wise.
    I want too stay under 15,000 dollars.
    The above mentioned truck can be bought for around 8500 dollars.

2. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

If your looking to tow that much weight, you really should have a tandem axle truck! A single axle would do it, but you probably would'nt be legal or safe.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a medium duty dump try find one with 12,000lb front axle and 23,000lb single speed rear axle that way you have a truck that will haul a decent load. Most trucks have 21,000lb rears they are good for highway use but if you want something to go offroad heavier the better.

Myself if I was looking at a Ford it would be a Louisville 8000 the cabs are better than a F Series cab you have better vision plus its a true truck cab.

Also if your looking at Fords try stay away from the 6.6 Ford gutless pig and the 5.9 Cummins is out of its legue in a 5 ton truck. The 7.8 Fords are not too bad the 8.3 Cummins is better or even better a L-10 Cummins.

Also if your buying a truck make it be on air the juice brake truck don't have the stopping power. Those F-Series Fords used a very very horrible braking system its Lucas Girling its expensive to fix.

Good Luck

4. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

HI,
    Just a thought but you could get the truck of your dreams an DErate it when you go to title it....By derating it I mean register it for 26K despite it really being a truck designed to carry more....Of course the negative is that if you haul too heavy (above what you title it for) you could get a ticket...This is a practice that I have heard that is commonly done here.....I am looking at buying a 33K gvw truck w/ airbrakes and I will derate (in title only)it to 26K ....By doing that
    I avid CDL hassles AND the Air brake endorsement PLUS I have a really Heavy duty truck that Can carry alot...As a bonus I can always rerate the truck by retitling it when I feel like getting a CDL.
    Hope this helps.
    Andrew

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Thats not true. You can't derate a truck to avoid getting a CDL. The CDL is set by the GVW of the truck not what you license it for. DOT will add the front axle and back axle the combo is your GVW. What you chose to license it for is up to you but you will be held to the GVW of the truck for licensing purposes. Also if it has air brakes that is also CDL driven. This is assuming a straight truck without a trailer which has additional rules.

6. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Here in NJ they don't care what you register your truck for, they look at the sticker on he door jamb. You might want to look into that in your area.

7. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that legal? If the truck has air brakes don't you need that endorsement regardless? If you were buying a truck big enough to haul a specific load, like AWJ, and de-rate it for less, you'd be constantly worried about getting stopped and paying a hefty fine. Maybe guys can do this, I just prefer to have the class A and haul what I want without the worries.

AWJ- We have a '95 L9000 tandem dump with the L10 Cummins. They have good power and are very reliable. Ours starts out slow on take off, and then winds out quick after the turbo lag. Even though it looks like you're in Ga where it's warmer, I would recommend buying an air dryer for the truck, if it doesn't come with one. It's money well spent.

8. Gravel Rat

If you are licensing the truck for the total gross weight including the trailer you guys need a CDL. Your laws are like ours you can only derate a truck so far I forget the percentage but the DMV won't allow you to derate the truck so low it has no payload.

A tandem axle was meantioned I would prolly go that route too it is just as cheap to run a tandem. You could find a light tandem that will do the job something like a 9000 with 40,000lb rears 16,000lb front axle with 300 Cummins power.

Here is a truck its 7.8 Ford power 13spd 91,000 miles has 52,000lb gvw all for 18,000 dollars

74389591L8000.jpg

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

The sticker in the Jam just says 30K gvwr.It does not seperate the axles.

Actually I am looking at a JD 555 loader which will come in at around 20k.
    Everyone down here pulls them with single axle trucks.
    That is why I was trying too figure out what the truck can tow.

I just want to be legal and safe.

I also wonder how too determine what the axle ratings are on a truck not clearly marked.

People down here down rate there trucks all the time.

I am ignorant too these things that is why I am asking.

I guess I may buy a smaller truck for debris and latter buy a Tandem and tag trailer and get my CDL.

Sounds like that is the right thing too do.

10. Gravel Rat

If its a F-700 it prolly has 21,000lb rear axle and a 9000lb front axle that gives you a 30,000lb gvw.