1. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

looking for a 550 for plowing and landscaping. new 37,000for cab chassie 10-12,000 for henderson muni body WOW$$$ i like the idea of the sander built into the body would work good for mulch to but i think its to much$$.found a 99 550 4x4 desiel W9'fisher h.w. 8'ruby dump xlt loaded 12,000mi for 37,000.what do you think?? How do the tailgate sanders work compaired to a v box ??I can save big bucks over new but i am not sure about the body becouse i have no experence with then any sugestions would greatly apprecateded thanks<p>p.s lets not get into the ford,chevy,dodge,thing please<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok,<p>First if you want to haul a v-box with a 3 yards of sand, or a tailgate with 3 yards. The choice is yours, you will want the 550, right now ford is the only automaker offering a midsize truck with gvw above 13000 with 4X4.<p>I would look at the 99 F 550 with a serious thought. No problems with my 99 or 2000 fords so far, all diesel and autos.<p>The rugby body is a great body, that is the only brand i will buy now.<p>I would look at a replacement tailgate spreader, before i bought a under the tailgate spreader. I am going to use a replacement tailgate spreader on my 2 new 350s. You can get a replacement tailgate spreader from Meyer/Swenson/Diamond. This way you can use the dump body all year round.<p>For more information about the under the tailgate spreader, see a past thread.<p>As for the plow I hope the 550 has the 9' MC, that would be my choice no matter what truck you buy. <p>I have spoke about fords enough in this forum. You own one, i think ya know some about them too. So if ya want me to say more about them, i will just say so. <p>i will share this on the trucks i just ordered<p>F 350<br>4X4, 7.3, auto<br>XL with add ones<br>AC<br>8.5 Fisher v-plows ( waiting for Diamonds)<br>2-3&quot; yard rugby body on a 550 get the 3-4 yard<br>Replacement tailgate spreaders with electric controlls. Note these spreaders will carry about 1 yard of sand a storm 2 max. They are not a front line sanding unit. So i didn't go with a 550 for this reason. <p>Best of luck feel free to ask more questions.<p>Only on a side note. I don't know the size of lots you are plowing now, and what you plan to plow with this truck. Only my point is i saw f 650s with teh cat diesel and a manual trans for 32K no plow or body. So you upfitting cost would be higher. Only you would have a truck that would last a very long time, and be very tough. Thats if you have a market for the trucks capabilites.<p>Geoff<br>

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Geoff, if you have the space to park it the 650 is a better deal, less money higher GVW and you can probably earn more with it in the off-season.<p>Bill

4. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

geoff, I think the 650 is to big for what i need.mast of my plowing is small to med size lots.plus i still need to get into some drives i will buy another pickup for next winter alsobut the 650 is to big.<br> Do you know if rugby body has a web site i coullnd find one also who makes the replacement tailgate spreader & about how much are thay.<br> The truck is in mass.thay are going to email me pics to see the truck and plow thay said it has the mc on it the guy traded it for a 650 he needed something bigger it also has timbren rubber spings in it<br> thanks<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

5. snow

snow Guest

I think a 550 would be a good size for you. Also,geoff, a replacement tailgate spreader is ok, but you have to get a central hydrualic system. I think &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.sandspreader.com&quot;&gt;downeaster&lt;/a&gt; makes an electric under tailgate spreader. The only think about it is raising you dump body, but, a &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.vibco.com&quot;&gt;dump body vibrator&lt;/a&gt; can help a lot. Also, you can keep the undertailgate model on all year. I went to washington,d.c. last summer , and the trucks there had the undertailgate spreaders still on them.<br>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com<br>

6. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Bryan the electic tailgate spreader downeaster makes, is only for insert bodies. Go to maxidump.com for a product just like it.<p>Trucut:<p>Go to www.rugby.com.<br>Also a replacement tailgate spreader is good. Just make sure that if you go that way you have road and lot conditions you can drive around with the body raised. Also a hydrolic controlled spreader is a very simple system to repair, and offers the least down time of all the systems ( motor,electic, and hydrolic).<p>Geoff

7. snow

snow Guest

Geoff, rugby's site is www.rugbymfg.com. But,the thing about the central hyrdrualic systems is how are they powered? by belt drive? or a pump running off a battery? Are they hard to install? What are some companies that make them? Do you have them on your trucks?<br>Thanks<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com

8. firedog

firedog LawnSite Member

I'm new at this forum so be nice. Bryan to answer you question I have 3 cental hydralic system in trucks, 2- Internationals, 1 C-3500 1ton. I love them, better than electric I think. You can get them either belt or PTO driven. And yes if you don't know what you are doing they are a pain to installed especially if you don't have the tools. Not to say they are also expensive( $4000 Not installed and about a weeks worth of work.)

9. Alan

Alan Member

I think it was Replacement Commercial Parts Warehouse, or something like that, that had the components for a central system for around $1800. That includes the spreader controls as well as the electric clutch pump.<p>I prefer the clutch pump to a PTO drive as I can sit at a stop sign or street entrance and let the spreader run. If I had a PTO drive I would have to shift to neutral, let the clutch out to run the pump, then wait for everything to stop before I could grab a gear to get going again. On bigger trucks with low speed diesels you can drive right off the crank snout and get full time hydraulics. I think the new SD Fords can have a PTO option on the automatic that runs all the time. Might not be a bad setup other than you gotta have a Ford wrapped around it. (Sorry Geoff)<p>By the way, 4 grand for the parts for a central system seems REAL high to me. I can see $800 in the pump and mounts and pulleys. Another $600 or so for tank and valving and hoses. Even the $1800 at RCPW is a bit high if you shop around for the pieces.

10. Alan

Alan Member

Sorry,, in my last post I got the name of the company that has central systems for sale wrong. It is Central Parts Warehouse, not RCPW. Their price is $1,848 for a system that has pump, tank, spreader controls and plow/dump body valving included.