dump trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by economiclawncare, Jul 5, 2004.

1. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

i like to know how many people are doing landscaping or regular lawn maintence and using a dump truck(like a f-450) everyday to pull there trailer around town. do you see a difference in gas milage compared to a quad cab diesel f-350. I would like to get one b/c when i have mulch job the same day i dont have to use two different trailers so there for wont have to go back to shop. Also can do some hauling all in the same day. What do you think about this.
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think your on to something there!
  3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

ya dont get 4 get a 550 psd with a large dump body frather then a mason dump b/c u wont be hauling dirt rocks with it just mulch grass cliping branches woodchips 450 nare a waste if u want a 450 get a 350
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

in my dodge 350 dump, I put in $10 a day in gas, and I do quite a bit of driving some days, not to mention sitting in traffic.

the thing is, its great somedays, then others I'd rather have the pick up to get around in faster. But because of the dump, I've had alot of people come up to the truck asking for work, alot more then before with just a pick up.
  5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Are you trying to say the F450 is not a big step up from a F350?
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Go to Ford's website and research towing/payload capacities of each and you will see that there is a significant difference between 350,450, etc...
  7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a F-250 diesel with a flat bed w/hoist. Works good for hauling mulch with the sides on or daily tools with my short sides on
  8. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

What language is this? Please translate.

F250 with a dumper bed should do well for mulch and clippings.
    Rocks, topsoil, stone... you may want to go up.
    F350 and above, are you sure you would want to drive it the 90% of the time you weren't needing it?
  9. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

Maintenance is done with a 2003 F-350 dump (gas) with a 9' grain body. The construction and heavier hauling is done with a 2004 F-550 dump (diesel) with a 12' grain body. GMC 2500 is for estimates, driving to and fro, and snowplowing.
  10. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

thats right, the nicer of the 3, LOL.