1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DUmp Valve position on SACG SWZ 48 inch

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by diggerdave, Mar 24, 2006.

1. diggerdave

diggerdave LawnSite Member

Hi All- Any one have experience with hydraulic dump valve levers on a SCAG 48 inch walk-behind mower???
    Heres the problem- Im getting ready for the new season and I need to adjust the tracking. Im using the manual and it is not clear. It shows a pic of the dump valve levers labeled “normal position” which shows the levers with the bolt that passes thru the adjusting nut in a vertical position.
    To operate it says the dump valve levers must be returned to the closed position.
    What is closed and how do I tell? Is closed when the adjusting nut is screwed all the way in ? What about the freewheel position? It must be the opposite?
    On this particular model (SWZ 48A) the tracking is actually adjusted with a seaparte cam mechanism that allows you to increase or decrease the hand lever travel – whichleads me to believe that the dump valves should be left wide open which to me means the nut is tightened all the way in???? Is this correct??
    I jacked the wheels in the air and can see a visable difference on wheel speed when I turn the dump valve nut. I really want to make sure that I have both dump valves set correctly. thanks dave
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Screw the dump valve nut clockwise to close and make adjustments from this position. When you want to push the unit by hand open the valve counter-clock wise 1/2 turn. Don't worry about what position the through bolt is pointing.
  3. diggerdave

diggerdave LawnSite Member

Restrorob- thanks-- your info is exactly what I was looking for!!! I figured the thru-bolts position was irrelevant. Thanks dave